Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16616 Discussions

Eclipse problem nios2-elf-gcc command not found

Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

I know there's an older very similar thread but the links to suggested solutions are now broken.

I've got myself a shiny new PC but I can't do any NIOS2 Eclipse work on it because I'm getting this problem, screenshot below.Eclipse Make fail.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Can you share me the Quartus version and the design here?

Let me replicate it on my side.

I previously had this error long ago it was due to the WSL 2 version installed, had to revert it to WSL 1.

You can check and try this in the the mean time:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683525/21-3/windows-subsystem-for-linux-wsl-on-windows.html

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

Quartus Lite 20.1 and WSL 1, same as on my old PC which works.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

What is the PC environment on your old PC vs the new PC?

On another note, it seems to be the Nios II might be calling the "nios2-elf-gcc" instead of "nios2-elf-gcc.exe" for Windows.

Could you try to open the nios II SBT/eclipse from Nios II command shell?

In the Nios II command shell, run "eclipse-nios2.exe".

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Can you share the software folder and sopcinfo here? I will try to help the build success on 20.1 Quartus Lite on my Windows PC.

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

Attached. I added zipped the sopcinfo because the forum software refuses to accept .sopcinfo files. Perhaps you could bring that to somebody's attention.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the files, I will try to test and set some environment to get the build working.

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

Don't forget, it worked on my old PC. They are both Windows 10 Professional 64bit.

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

Any progress on this. Please also consider my other (and possibly more pressing) problem which is that the NIOS2 wont boot from external SDRAM and I've had no suggestions as to how to debug this.

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi Oliver

Sorry for the late reply.

I am Jingyang and will be helping Eber out in this case.

I have tried generating the BSP from your sopcinfo that you shared and there was no issues.

The environment that i am using is also the same as yours except for the Version of windows.

I am using Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bits.

Was able to generate it without any error seen.

Just to make sure you have installed the plugins correctly :

https://www.terasic.com.tw/wiki/Getting_Start_Install_Eclipse_IDE_into_Nios_EDS

And also the WSL version is correct :

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000074066.html

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

Right, so after a lot of searching on the web the problem was the wrong version of WSL. Windows really, really, really wants you to use WSL2 and I get the feeling from the MIcrosoft documentation updated in 2023 that the Intel documentation is no longer fully accurate on describing the process in sufficient detail.

Sorted at last by the look of it.

0 Kudos