Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15544 Discussions

How to change the default name of *.sof file in Quartus

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Altera Users, 

Where can I change the default *.sof name in the settings of quartus ? I want to create different files (file1.sof, file2.sof, ....) different compilations for the project, so I can avoid to recompile again and again, 

I want also to avoid to create different projects for this reason. 

thanks for your help  

best regards Chahid
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can change the directory where the output files go by going to Assignments->Settings and selecting Compilation Process Settings on the left. Under Save project output files in specified directory, change Directory name: as needed (default is output_files). You need a separate directory for all the output files because your changed settings will probably make changes to several intermediate files before the final sof file is generated.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What I do is have a post-flow script run at the end of each compile and put the .sof and .rbf into a folder with a revision number in the name of the folder. I have quartus configured to put the build outputs into a build_outputs folder in the project directory and then have a simple tcl script copy and rename the files. In the qsf I use the post flow script assignment to execute my script: 

set_global_assignment -name POST_FLOW_SCRIPT_FILE "<path_to_my_script>.tcl"
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks very much Galfonz & Purduee, I try both suggestions

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello friends  

I find the option Assignement -> settings -> compilation process setting (activate save project output files in specified directory + putting directory names), is working find and automatically, 

Thank you very much. 

regards chahid