Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Intel RGMII example - output delay failure

SKon1
Novice

Hello,

I'm constraining a double data rate RGMII input interface.

For reference - I'm using page 15 in this document:

The input path passes timing - But the output does not.

I used a PLL with zero phase shift for the output clock.

My design is attached.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Shifting the latch clock does not help in this case - This refers to the path in the design without PLL.

"Take an example of the path in the design without PLL, the amount of setup slack is smaller than the amount of the hold violation. Shifting the latch clock does not help in this case."

From the report, there is setup slack of 3.839ns and hold slack of -4.917ns for the path mentioned above as an example. Setup slack of 3.839ns means the signal arrives at a time of 3.839ns earlier than what is required. Hold slack of -4.917ns means the current signal has to stay for another 4.917ns longer before the next signals comes in. If the new signal arrives the destination after another 4.917ns, the signal will fail the setup because the setup slack has only 3.839ns.

I have to understand this...

We have data incoming to our system and driving input DDR flip flops.

We have a clock that's connect to the wrong pin - so it's a mile away from the DDR flip flops. Indeed a problem !

BUT with a PLL - we shift the clock such that its edges are perfectly center aligned to the data.

Why center aligning the clock to the data (with a PLL) doesn't solve our problem ?

Are you saying that for some reason we won't be able to shift the clock correctly ?

Or are you saying that having the clock driving the DDR flip flop perfectly center aligned isn't enough in this case ?

In the design you have attached, there is hold violation for some paths. The data arrival time is less than the data required time. From the screenshot above, you can see that the data required time improves a little (-0.648ns) but this is not enough. After adding the PLL, the data required time is reduced by this amount but it is still larger than the data arrival time. If you change the pin location to increase the data arrival time, you will see positive hold slack.

Thanks

Best regards,

KhaiY

View solution in original post

13 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

The design failed the compilation with the error below:

Error (10481): VHDL Use Clause error at mux_fpga_top.vhd(1162): design library "work" does not contain primary unit "MuxDemux_SERV". Verify that the primary unit exists in the library and has been successfully compiled.

Could you provide the design.qar file? To create the QAR file, click on Project > Archive Project > Archive

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
SKon1
Novice

The QAR is Attached.

Discard the p6_inclk setup violation I showed above - I was able to fix it myself.

The only problem I have now is a Hold violation with a clock domain named P6_outclk.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Do you have the pin location finalized? Is it possible to change the pin location?

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
SKon1
Novice

Hi,

Yes. The pinout location is finalized.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

I tried to change the location of the P6_outclk. There is no more timing violation on the paths. Since the location is finalized, I will try to add PLL in the design and see if the PLL can compensate the skew.

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
SKon1
Novice

Thanks,

I tried to do that too.

IMO you won't be able to simply add a PLL. You'll probably have to path through an ALTCLKCTRL first.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Yes. You are correct. I added the ALTCLKCTRL, the additional delay from ALTCLKCTRL and PLL is larger than the amount that the PLL can compensate. The delay from P6_outd[*]~input|i to Ethernet_Bridge:Ethernet_Bridge_inst|RGMII_to_GMII:RGMII_to_GMII_P6_inst|DDIO_IN_4X:M1|altddio_in:ALTDDIO_IN_component|ddio_in_ouh:auto_generated|dataout_h[*] are almost not alterable as they are located in the same I/O location. In this case, the only option is to change the pin location of P6_outclk.

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
SKon1
Novice

"the additional delay from ALTCLKCTRL and PLL is larger than the amount that the PLL can compensate"

Can you explain this ?

Now that we're able to get the clock to the PLL - why can't we set the PLL to "normal" mode (not source synchronous) and find a phase shift that brings the PLL output clock to center alignment with the data for proper sampling ?

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

I am sorry that I overlook the -ve sign in the calculation. The PLL does help in improving the clock path but not enough for the violation of -4.xxxns

Capture.PNG

Setting the PLL to Normal mode failed both the Setup and Hold timing.Take an example of the path in the design without PLL, the amount of setup slack is smaller than the amount of the hold violation. Shifting the latch clock does not help in this case.

From node: P6_outd[1]

To Node: Ethernet_Bridge:Ethernet_Bridge_inst|RGMII_to_GMII:RGMII_to_GMII_P6_inst|DDIO_IN_4X:M1|altddio_in:ALTDDIO_IN_component|ddio_in_ouh:auto_generated|dataout_h[1]

Setup: 3.839ns

Hold: -4.917ns

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Besides this, I tried to change the P6_outclk from Global to Periphery Clock, the Clock Path improved the slack from -4.911ns to -1.583 but the violation remained. Please consider changing the location to increase the data path.Capture.PNG

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

SKon1
Novice

"Shifting the latch clock does not help in this case."

We have a clock that's connect to the wrong pin - so it's a mile away from the DDR flip flops. Indeed a problem !

BUT with a PLL - we shift the clock such that its edges are perfectly center aligned to the data.

Why center aligning the clock to the data (with a PLL) doesn't solve our problem ?

Are you saying that for some reason we won't be able to shift the clock correctly ?

Or are you saying that having the clock driving the DDR flip flop perfectly center aligned isn't enough in this case ?

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Shifting the latch clock does not help in this case - This refers to the path in the design without PLL.

"Take an example of the path in the design without PLL, the amount of setup slack is smaller than the amount of the hold violation. Shifting the latch clock does not help in this case."

From the report, there is setup slack of 3.839ns and hold slack of -4.917ns for the path mentioned above as an example. Setup slack of 3.839ns means the signal arrives at a time of 3.839ns earlier than what is required. Hold slack of -4.917ns means the current signal has to stay for another 4.917ns longer before the next signals comes in. If the new signal arrives the destination after another 4.917ns, the signal will fail the setup because the setup slack has only 3.839ns.

BUT with a PLL - we shift the clock such that its edges are perfectly center aligned to the data.

In the design you have attached, there is hold violation for some paths. The data arrival time is less than the data required time. From the screenshot above, you can see that the data required time improves a little (-0.648ns) but this is not enough. After adding the PLL, the data required time is reduced by this amount but it is still larger than the data arrival time. If you change the pin location to increase the data arrival time, you will see positive hold slack.

Thanks

Best regards,

KhaiY

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

May I know if you have any updates?

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos