Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16642 Discussions

MegaWizard display problems in Ubuntu Linux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am using "Quartus II Version 11.0 Build 157 04/27/2011 SJ Web Edition" on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and am working on my very first FPGA project. I have successfully made some blinking lights on a DE-Nano board from terasic so programming is working and I can write some basic verilog. 

However I am having trouble with the "MegaWizard Plug-In Manager" -- after a few screens it does not display any more information.  

Let me give an example where this problem comes up: 

1) Start the MegaWizard from the "Tools" menu with my current project open. I see a window with a little wand and wizard hat. 

2) I choose to create a new MegaFunction and press "Next". 

3) I choose IO/ALTPLL from the list, give a filename "AlteraPLL.v", choose Verilog, and press "Next". (The device was correct by default). 

4) Now the screen is more graphical in nature and at the top it says [3 of 14]. I leave all the settings in their default state (100MHz, Normal Mode, etc.) and press next.  

5) Now the screen remains EXACTLY the same except the bar at the top reads [4 of 14]. It is still on Parameter Settings -> General/Modes with exactly the same widgets as before. Pressing next repeatedly increases the top of the window display to [14 of 14] eventually but there is NEVER any new place to put information. 

I seriously doubt this is the intended behaviour. What is going wrong? 

When running quartus II from the command prompt I see that it does not print any data to stdout. 

Please Help!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i don't see the same behavior on RedHat 5 using ACDS 11.0 

you might try the latest 11.1sp1?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hmmm. This is very strange. I just downloaded 11.1sp1_216_quartus_free_linux.sh and ran it as root. The result was very strange: 

sudo ./11.1sp1_216_quartus_free_linux.sh  

Creating directory 11.1sp1_216_quartus_free_linux 

Verifying archive integrity... All good. 

Uncompressing Quartus II Web Edition (Free)................................................................................................................................................................................................... 

./setup: 1: Syntax error: "&" unexpected 

I double checked the md5sum and everything is good. It seems that 11.1sp1 has some problems ... 

The problem seems to be the first line in the uncompressed "setup" script which should read:# !/bin/bash rather than# !/bin/sh. Changing the setup script fixed the installation problem. 

Unfortunately the problem with the megawizard is exactly the same in 11.1sp1. 

I am using 64 bit Ubuntu at work and I wonder if that is part of the problem. I will try later at home ...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i was running 32-bit Quartus on CentOS 5 64-bit. my Ubuntu machine is powered down at the moment, so i can't give it a try 

i think Ubuntu is going to be officially supported in the upcoming Quartus release
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Version 11.1sp1 works just fine on Ubuntu 11.10 (GNU/Linux 3.0.0-14-generic-pae i686) but the mega-wizard has a problem with the Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS x86_64 system that I use at work...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Same problem with the wizard in my Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit environment. Look at the thread entitled  

"altpll megawizard hangs under linux"  

the problem is with Compiz desktop effects. Turn them off and it's all good.... Irritating work around, but it does work.
0 Kudos