Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16636 Discussions

Quartus 10.0sp1 Install Hangs on Fedora 12

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We've been running Quartus 10.0 without issue on our Fedora 12 box. I went to upgrade to SP1 and based on the two install techniques I get errors. 

In running 10.0sp1_quartus_linux_full.sh it errors out with the standard XESetWireToEventCookie. I then go into the 10.0sp1_quartus_linux/altera_installer/bin directory and move the libX11.so.6 file out. I then create a symbolic link to the same file on my system. 

ln -s /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 libX11.so.6 

I'm then able to run the setup program. At this point I select to install Quartus and all devices. It starts the install and hangs at 1%. It appears that everything but the devices gets installed at this point as the quartus/common/devinfo doesn't contain any FPGA/CPLD files. 

If I go the text based install route by going into the 10.0sp1_quartus_linux/linux_installer/quartus folder and execute the "install" command it does complete the installation, but again, the devinfo directory doesn't actually contain any devices in it and loaded projects complain of the device not being installed. 

What am I missing? Is there a manual way to extract the devices files from the 10.0sp1_quartus_linux/devices folder?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After grepping the install directory for "QDA", the device file type, I found where they were listed in the altera_installer_linux.xml file. It pretty cleanly shows how to execute the quartus_sh command to extract them. 

After manually running the command 22 times, I had all of the device files installed. 

Below is an example. The command was issued from the quartus/bin directory. 

quartus_sh --qinstall -qda ~/10.0sp1_quartus_linux/devices/subscription/arriagx.qda 

quartus_sh --qinstall -qda ~/10.0sp1_quartus_linux/devices/subscription/arriaii.qda 

The installation appears to be working well now. Only a few hours lost to this.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i just installed 10.0sp1_quartus_free_linux.sh on Fedora 12 without problems after deleting libX11.so.6 then running ./setup. i can try 10.0sp1_quartus_linux_full.sh

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The problem seems to be that Quartus bundles a private copy of libX11.so.6, but not of libXi.so.6, which means you end up with a bizarre hybrid of system libraries and private libraries, which really doesn't work well at all.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You could have searched the forum and would have found this thread:10.0_quartus_linux.sh (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24563

Maybe we need a better / more powerful search machine in the forum?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i highly recommend using altera.com search, not forum search. it would be nice if the search box on the forum used Altera's Google Search, maybe with site:alteraforum.com filters

0 Kudos