Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16666 Discussions

Questa Simulation vmap error

allenS1
Employee

Hello,

I'm currently trying to go through the Getting Started Tutorial for Questa - Intel FPGA Division. I'm using the same example design files for a PLL RAM that they give in the tutorial. I'm at the step where you're supposed to run the mentor_example.do script in section 1.6. However, when I run that command, it gives the follow output, and the simulation fails:

# .
# Questa Intel FPGA Edition-64 vmap 2023.2 Lib Mapping Utility 2023.04 Apr 11 2023
# vmap work ./libraries/work/
# Modifying modelsim.ini
# ** Warning: (vmap-6) -- Waiting for lock by "; vsim modelsim.ini file". Lockfile is "./modelsim.ini_lock".
# ** Warning: (vmap-6) -- Waiting for lock by "; vsim modelsim.ini file". Lockfile is "./modelsim.ini_lock".
# -- Giving up waiting on lock. Lockfile is "./modelsim.ini_lock".
# ** Error: WriteIniString modelsim.ini failed: 2
# Error in macro ./mentor/mentor_example.do line 17
# Questa Intel FPGA Edition-64 vmap 2023.2 Lib Mapping Utility 2023.04 Apr 11 2023
# vmap work ./libraries/work/
# Modifying modelsim.ini
# -- Giving up waiting on lock. Lockfile is "./modelsim.ini_lock".
# ** Error: WriteIniString modelsim.ini failed: 2
# while executing
# "error [FixExecError $msg]"
# (procedure "vmap" line 29)
# invoked from within
# "vmap work ./libraries/work/"
# (file "./mentor/msim_setup.tcl" line 202)
# invoked from within
# "source $QSYS_SIMDIR/mentor/msim_setup.tcl"

I'm not sure what the reason for the error, as I've follow the tutorial exactly, but it looks like the line where is fails is "vmap work ./libraries/work/" in the msim_setup.tcl file. Why is it that the compilation library can't be created properly?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TingJiangT_Intel
Employee

Hi there, what's your quartus installation path? And can you share the .do file you are using.

0 Kudos
TingJiangT_Intel
Employee

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos
allenS1
Employee

Hello there. I was able to resolve this issue. I suspect the issue could be either with the example design, which I redownloaded and started fresh, or not choosing the correct working directory (\mentor) when running the .do file in Questa. Thanks for your help though.

0 Kudos