Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16679 Discussions

Questa .exe not being seen

MATRIX7878
New Contributor I

Hello,

I am trying to simulate the VHDL code I have in Quartus Prime 23.2 on Windows 11.  I cannot find a way to open Questa.  I have to do Tools > Launch Simulation Library Compiler and then I have to put in the location of the vsim.exe file.  I tried that, but I keep getting the result in the image.  I checked and the vsim.exe file is there.  What can I do to rectify this?

Thank you,

Drew

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Need to specify the simulator LM_LICENSE_FILE path check this document link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683472/23-3/faq.html (page 47):

On Windows System

1. Go to This PC, right-click, and select Properties.

2. Click Advanced System Setting.

3. In the Advanced tab, select Environment Variable.

4. Under System variables, create a new variable with the name asLM_LICENSE_FILE and value as <license.dat file path>.

5. Click OK and restart the Questa*-Intel FPGA Edition software.

Alternatively, open a command prompt and run the following command to set up the LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable:

setx LM_LICENSE_FILE <path_to_license_file>;%LM_LICENSE_FILE%

For example: setx LM_LICENSE_FILE C:\intelFPGA \license.dat;%LM_LICENSE_FILE%

Thanks,

Regards,

Sheng

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi Drew,

There're some bug with the warning message. I'll report this to internal team.

Btw, you can workaround by ignoring the warning message. After specifying the Executable location path as ../questa_fse/win64 and Output directory path, click Start Compilation. If see this message Specify the simulation tool executable location. pop up, click the three dots beside the Executable location tab and specify the path again then Start Compilation. If still see the same message Specify the simulation tool executable location. pop up again, repeat the steps. Finally after 2-3 trials, you would be able to Start Compilation.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos
MATRIX7878
New Contributor I

Hello,

Thank you for reporting it.  It is a weird bug.

I have tried your method and it did not work.  I did it 6 times and I still got the same result.  Anything else I can try?

Thank you,

Drew

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi Drew,

Try one more step below as workaround:

Click at the Executable location tab and then press Enter. After that Start Compilation.

Thanks,

Regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos
MATRIX7878
New Contributor I

Hello,

I tried that and it did not work.  Quartus cannot see Questa.

Thank you for trying, hopefully this can be resolved soon.

Drew

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi Drew,

Attached the workaround steps recording below for your reference. If still not Start Compiling, try re-install and follow the recording again.

Thanks,

Regards,

Sheng

MATRIX7878
New Contributor I

Hello,

That worked, except I have the errors in the attached image.  I am not sure what licensing error there is.  Any ideas what is wrong?  The .dat file should have the Questa license.

Thank you,

Drew

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Need to specify the simulator LM_LICENSE_FILE path check this document link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683472/23-3/faq.html (page 47):

On Windows System

1. Go to This PC, right-click, and select Properties.

2. Click Advanced System Setting.

3. In the Advanced tab, select Environment Variable.

4. Under System variables, create a new variable with the name asLM_LICENSE_FILE and value as <license.dat file path>.

5. Click OK and restart the Questa*-Intel FPGA Edition software.

Alternatively, open a command prompt and run the following command to set up the LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable:

setx LM_LICENSE_FILE <path_to_license_file>;%LM_LICENSE_FILE%

For example: setx LM_LICENSE_FILE C:\intelFPGA \license.dat;%LM_LICENSE_FILE%

Thanks,

Regards,

Sheng

MATRIX7878
New Contributor I

Hello,

Huzzah.  That worked.  Thank you very much for your help.  Hopefully that bug can be fixed soon.

Thank you,

Drew

0 Kudos