Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16686 Discussions

set_output_delay in source-synchronous situation : not meeting timing

ZatK
Beginner

So I have a design which is exactly in this situation :

ZatK_0-1707309943904.png

The only difference is that the clock is coming from 'Board Device' as well instead of on the board.

CLK period is 12.5 ns
Dclock_to_FPGA = 0 ~ 0.1 ns
Ddata = 0 ~ 0.1 ns
Dclock_to_ExtDev = 0 ~ 1ns
Tsetup = 5.8 ns
Thold = 2 ns

So following the formula :

Output Delay(max) = 5.8 + 0.1 + 0.1 - 0 = 6 ns
   Output Delay(min) = 0 - 2 + 0 - 1 = -3 ns

However, if I use this in the constraints as follows :

create_clock -name CLK -period 12.5ns [get_ports {CLK}]
   set_output_delay -clock "CLK" -min -3ns [get_ports {DOUT}]
   set_output_delay -clock "CLK" -max 6ns [get_ports {DOUT}]

This results in (approx.) 5 ns setup timing violations from REGB to DOUT.

The timing report for one of these paths is attached.
Can someone explain why this is not meeting timing, or what I am doing wrong ?

(Additional info : I also made sure that REGB placement is close to the CLK / DOUT pins.)

Note that the timing report shows a Clock Skew of -4.920 ns.
I guess this has something to do with it ?

I also tried the following settings, but they ALL lead to timing failures :

-min 0 / -max 0
     => -1.3 ns violation (skew -6.7 / data delay 7.0 = arrival 13.7 vs. required 12.4 (12.5 - 0 - 0.1)
-min -2 / -max 0
    => -1.2 ns violation (skew -6.7 / data delay 7.0 = arrival 13.7 vs. required 12.4 (12.5 - 0 - 0.1)
-min -5 / -max 0
    => -3.1 ns violation (skew -6.7 / data delay 8.8 = arrival 15.5 vs. required 12.4 (12.5 - 0 - 0.1)
-min -2 / -max 5
    => -4.8 ns violation (skew -4.9 / data delay 6.3 = arrival 11.2 vs. required 6.4 (12.5 - 5 - 0.1)
-min 3 / -max 10
    => -10.7 ns violation (skew -6.8 / data delay 6.2 = arrival 13 vs. required 2.4 (12.5 - 10 - 0.1)
-min 13 / -max 20
    => -20.6 ns violation (skew -6.8 / data delay 6.2 = arrival 13 vs. required -7.6 (12.5 - 20 - 0.1)

So it now seems like I HAVE to use a negative max-delay to meet timing ?
How does that make any sense ?

Edit : 
It is confirmed that using a setting -min -2 / -max -2 meets timing.
Is there ANYONE who can clearly explain how this works ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Yeah, that clock skew is most likely the problem.

You say the clock source is the downstream device itself receiving the data, not a separate clock source?  That is pretty unusual.  It means, though, you probably need to include the latency of the clock arriving at the FPGA with a set_clock_latency command and that the clock arriving at that downstream device itself is 0.

It would be helpful to see the waveform view from the timing analyzer to see what the clock edges and arrival and required times look like based on your .sdc.  Based on the report you show, the data is getting launched at time 0 and expected to arrive at the downstream device in time to meet setup less than 12.5 ns later.  The launch and latch should be delayed because of the time it take for the clock to arrive at REGB.  set_clock_latency would do this.  But you may even need to use a multicycle exception if the timing analyzer is using the wrong clock edge for the latch.  Again, seeing the waveform view would help visualize this much better.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Do you need further help in this case?

Are you ok to share the design (Project > Archive Project) with the timing failure so we can check the timing report?

Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

We noticed that we haven't received a response from you regarding the latest previous question/reply/answer, and will now transitioning your inquiry to our community support. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we appreciate your understanding.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thank you for reaching out to us!

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
ZatK
Beginner

Hi Richard, 

Yes, I am still working on this and could still use help, but have some other urgent work to finish first.
I will try to draw up the waveforms soon to give @sstrell some more info.

Best regards,

Z.

0 Kudos