Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16642 Discussions

vcs simulation scripts generation

eman_delete
Beginner

I have the atan IP as part of my quartus project.

The IP simulation script generated for vcs doesn't use any atan.vho file.

It uses the atan.vhd file (same for mentor, cadence). I also see atan.vhd in the quartus Design Units tab. I don't see any pointers to atan.vho in the project.

However, when I run the RTL simulation in quartus, I get the error message that atan.vho isn't found.

Why quartus is looking for the vho file, when the IP's simulation scripts are not?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

It appears that there may be an issue with the simulation flow. I assume that you are using the scripted simulation flow.

You can refer to the document below for guidance on setting up the VCS simulation:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683870/22-4/synopsys-vcs-and-vcs-mx-support.html

Do you able to simulate it using Questa Intel FPGA Edition before? You may checkout the User Guide below for instructions on running the simulation with Questa Intel FPGA Edition.

The scripting concept is similar to VCS.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/691278/21-3/quick-start.html 

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

p/s: If you find any answers from the community or Intel Support to be helpful, we encourage you to mark them as the best answer or rate them 4/5 in the survey. 

0 Kudos
eman_delete
Beginner

Hi,

If I try with Questa Intel FPGA Edition I get the simulation .do file generated (simulation/modelsim/*msim_rtl_vhdl.do) without any errors.

However in the .do file I see the reference to the same .vho missing files, so the design cannot be compiled/simulated.

vcom -93 -work work {/<path>/ip_atan/atan.vho}

vcom -93 -work work {/<path>/ip_spfp2dpfp/conv_spfp2dpfp.vho}

So, I get the same results as in the vcs flow, but one step later, when I acutally run the .do file and not when it's generated.

The question remains the same, why the standalone simulation scripts of the IPs don't need the .vho files, but the full design's simulation script is looking for these files?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Could you share the design so I could investigate further on this?

Please kindly provide the steps to duplicate the issue.

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

We noticed that we haven't received a response from you regarding the latest previous question/reply/answer, and will now transitioning your inquiry to our community support. we are now transitioning your inquiry to our community support. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we appreciate your understanding. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know. Thank you for reaching out to us!

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
eman_delete
Beginner

The issue isn't resolved. I'm trying to get the vho files and simulate the design with these files.

I cannot send you the design as is. I need to strip some parts from the design. I'll do it if needed, but for now I will proceed with the vho simulation.

0 Kudos
eman_delete
Beginner

I couldn't generate the vho files, but if I comment them out in the compilation list of sources it doesn't affect the design elaboration.

So, I'm proceeding without the vho files.

0 Kudos