Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20708 Discussions

dual monitor

maris
Beginner

I bought a VGA splitter to have dual monitor. 

Both monitors are opening but is mirroring only. I want to extend my screen, to have 1monitor for viewing and 2nd monitor to work on. 

Display is not detecting 2nd monitor. And when checking, I have updated drivers already. 

What to do?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As you found, you cannot do this with a splitter. Regardless of interface, splitter devices will always just display a duplicate. Worse, for VGA (or DVI or HDMI), you cannot connect two monitors to a single connector.

In order to connect two monitors, you must have either (1) two different video connectors, or (2) a DisplayPort connector and either two Daisy-Chained DisplayPort monitors, or a Multi-Stream Transport (MST) device offering two (or three) connectors. In the DisplayPort case, remember that the bandwidth of the DisplayPort channel will be shared by the two (or three) monitors. This is problematic if more than one monitors is greater resolution than 1080p or 1200p.

So, the question becomes: Do you have a gfx connector other than VGA? If not, then you are out of luck.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Vipin_Singh1

Hi Marycel, we would like to inform you that we are routing your query to the dedicated team for further assistance.

0 Kudos