Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
458 Discussions

ARM DS USB BLASTER or USB BLASTER II ?

GOMEZ_IT
Beginner

Good morning everyone.
I have a custom board with the CycloneV SoC on board.
This board has 2 JTAG connectors, one for the FPGA configuration and the other for the HPS section.
I wanted to know if the Intel version ARM DS ide (Arm* Development Studio Version 2023.1 for Intel® SoC FPGA)
also supports an external  USB BLASTER for debugging, in addition to the external USB BLASTER II.

regards, Luca.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GOMEZ_IT
Beginner

It's really frustrating. I've been trying to debug the cyclone v soc for weeks. No way.

My situation:

With quartus attaching to the jtag FPGA I have no problem:

FPGA_jtag.png

With quartus, attaching  to the jtag hps I detect this:

CV_hps_jtag.png

With Arm Development Studio IDE (23.1) if I try to debug (with external usb blaster 1) on jtag hps I always get this error:

jtag_hps_error.png

PATH variables are ok, and the IDE correctly recognizes my usb blaster (version 1):

Settings_ARM_DS.png

The PATH variables are ok, and the IDE recognizes My custom card is practically the same as Terasic's DE10-nano (in fact the Linux image of the DE10-nano runs correctly and everything works, including the ethernet port). The only difference is that I have NOT soldered the QSPI flash onto the board.

Could this be the problem?

The MSEL[4:0] are 01010

The BOOTSEL[2:0] are 101 (boot from sd card)

The CLOCKSEL[1:0] are 00

0 Kudos
GOMEZ_IT
Beginner

I also tried connecting my SEGGER JLINK to the HPS jtag port of my board.
By connecting, here is the result:

jlink_cv.png

Looks like the hps part is being detected correctly!
Can anyone tell me if USB BLASTER 1 (NOT USB BLASTER II!!) can be used to debug the ARM DS IDE?

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi GOMEZ_IT,

Sorry I might have missed your post.  It's recommended to use USB Blaster II because it's faster and more reliable for debugging.

Regards,

Fakhrul

0 Kudos
GOMEZ_IT
Beginner

Thank you Fakhrul for your reply.
Could you confirm that debugging with USB-BLASTER (ver 1) doesn't work,
and gives the same errors I described in previous posts?

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi GOMEZ_IT,

Unfortunately, we cannot provide clarification on that matter as Arm Development Studio IDE (23.1) is not our product. Therefore, we have limitations in offering credentials on this point. But in the Arm® Development Studio's Hardware and Host Platform Requirements, on page 18, it does mentioned the requirement to use the USB Blaster II.

Fakhrul_0-1717146242316.png

Regards,

Fakhrul

0 Kudos
GOMEZ_IT
Beginner
OK thank you. Then I will try to buy a USB BLASTER II and try to use it. I will update the post once the test is done.
0 Kudos