Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
451 Discussions

Error when running u-boot using Arm DS debugger on Arria 10 Dev Kit

Richard_P
Beginner

Hi,

I am getting an error when trying the load and run u-boot through the Arm Development Studio debugger on my Arria 10 Dev-Kit.

I am using this Arria 10 Han Pilot Dev kit sold through Terasic:
https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=216&No=1133#contents

I am following these instructions for running u-boot from the the Arm Development Studio debugger:
https://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/BuildingBootloaderCycloneVAndArria10#Arria_10_SoC_45_Run_U_45Boot_from_Debugger

I have attached 2 files:
The "debug-u-boot-A10.txt" file is the script I use to load the preloader(SPL) and u-boot. This script is provided in the rocketboard instructions above.
The "u-boot_load_error.txt" file is the captured output from the debugger command window as the script is being ran.

When I try to run the script using the debugger, the preloader loads up without any problems. But when the script tries to load u-boot, I get the following error in the debugger command window:

+loadfile u-boot-socfpga/u-boot
Target Message: Memory access caused precise abort.
Debug Precise Abort Registers : DFSR = 0x00000808, DFAR = 0x01000040
ERROR(CMD16-TAD59-NAL18):
# in C:\Users\engineering\HD-MRPS\Linux_Boot\Han_Pilot2\debug-u-boot-A10.ds:27 while executing: loadfile u-boot-socfpga/u-boot
! Failed to load "u-boot"
! Download of 467,860 bytes to address S:0x01000040 failed while writing block of 4,096 bytes to address S:0x01000040
! Bus error on memory operation.
ERROR(CMD656): The script C:\Users\engineering\HD-MRPS\Linux_Boot\Han_Pilot2\debug-u-boot-A10.ds failed to complete due to an error during execution of the script

Any ideas as to what would cause this error message?

Thanks for your help.

-Richard

0 Kudos
4 Replies
aikeu
Employee

Hi Richard_P,

Can show the full logs starting from when the board boot up?

Would like to know if there is any ddr failure indicated from the start.

May I know your Han Pilot board is using what ddr memory size?

The defaut size used by Arria10 dev kit is 1GB for your reference:

https://github.com/altera-opensource/u-boot-socfpga/blob/socfpga_v2023.04/arch/arm/dts/socfpga_arria10_socdk.dtsi

memory@0 {

name = "memory";

device_type = "memory";

reg = <0x0 0x40000000>; /* 1GB */

};

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Richard_P,

May I know is any follow up on the issue?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Richard_P,

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
R_G
Beginner

Hi Aik,

I apologize for the late response. I would like to activate this thread if possible. I don't have any logs from when the preloader is executed. I don't get any output from the serial terminal while the preloader executes even though it should be there. It seems like the preloader and uboot build is not getting configured correctly from the handoff xml file of the Han Pilot default dev kit design when following the Rocketboards instructions for building the bootloader. The Han Pilot board has 1GB DDR4 on board memory just like the Intel Arria 10 dev kit. Can you replicate this error on the Intel Arria 10 dev kit if you have access to one?

Thanks,

Richard

0 Kudos