Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.
1459 Discussions

Error with Intel SGX AESM causes computer to black screen after long time of hibernation

Guillermob13
Beginner

Hello Everyone,

I am not a computer expert, and I have been having this problem for a couple of months now with my Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5. Every now and then, after the computer has been "hibernating" for a long period of time, when I open the laptop, I am welcomed with a black screen with nothing on it, I am not able to do anything to get pass it, except by hard turning off by holding the power button. After this, as expected, it turns on normally however given that it was a hard shut off, it closes everything that was open before hibernating. 

When I go to the event viewer to check what logs windows is creating I am welcomed with these two error mesages, 

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Intel® SGX AESM service to connect.

The Intel® SGX AESM service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

These events occured in sequence from top to bottom.

I have not been able to find anyone that has had a similar error before, I would appreciate if someone could help me with this!

I have Windows 11 Home Version 22H2 installed. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Aznie_Intel

Hi Guillermob13,

Thanks for reaching out.

Are you using the Intel® SGX AESM app service? If not, I would recommend to uninstall the SGX and see if the error persists.

Device Manager -> System Devices -> Intel(R) Software Guard Extensions Device

Device Manager -> Software Components -> Intel(R) Software Guard Extensions Software

Our hardware might be different, but in general you can view the SGX devices/software in your Device Manager.

Note that even if you uninstall the software, since they are drivers, they will probably get re-installed automatically.

Regards,

Aznie

0 Kudos
Aznie_Intel

Hi Guillermob13,

This thread will no longer be monitored since we have provided a solution. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question.

Regards,

Aznie

0 Kudos
fndrsm
Beginner

Hi @Guillermob13 , i thought i was the only one has this problem. But honestly i don't know if this the real culprit.

I have the same problem similar to you but i just experienced this problem since ~2 weeks ago. My Thinkpad X280 failed to wake up from automatic sleep after enter sleep state for more than 10 minutes. I cannot press anything, the light just blinking like as it sleep. But no respon to anything.

On this situation i thought it was caused by my new Orico USB Hub, because the problem occurs when it was plugged in (it just plugged for mouse, usb fan and hardisk external). This USB Hub caused and error too on Event Viewer which Error device setup manager with only fewer article on the internet like this thread from Microsoft forum.

But after I read one by one the error on Event Viewer, i notice this kind of error and lead me to you ticket here. I was on Windows 11 Pro 22H2 too.

The point is, the problem with the Thinkpad is failed to wake up after entering sleep mode. No respond just power button and keyboard light blinking.

I hope this one got fixed. FYI, my laptop is on fine condition no battery problem or other hardware problem.

0 Kudos