Intel® oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler
Talk to fellow users of Intel® oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler and companion tools like Intel® oneAPI DPC++ Library, Intel® DPC++ Compatibility Tool, and Intel® Distribution for GDB*
603 Discussions

ATOM Processors - setting boost or low power by software

OliveiraKOL
Beginner

I´m learning the Power of Intel OneAPI compilar. I could buiild and run sample codes using CLI and  Eclipse w/o problem. I also could build other source codes in C/C++ incliding Qt Creator and all build and rarn successfull.

By the way I´d like to make a source code that during run time set the Intel ATOM x6221e Processor in low power or in High Performance (boost) or return it to normal operation.

Is it Possible?

If yes, can you give me a sample code example for teste?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alex_Y_Intel

Have you tried your app on different settings and see how it goes?

0 Kudos
OliveiraKOL
Beginner

Hello Alex,

Thanks for your fast reply.

I Will explain what I need to do.

I Have to develop a hardware solution able to works for unless 10 hours unninterrupted w/o be connected on any power source, only it internal Battery.  The solution have one text/graphic printer, one biometric sensor, two Graphic displays connected on two differents HDMI ports. It also have a secure processor for crypting and signing data and a TRING for random number generated by hardware. For it reason in some cases I need to put de Processor in low power and in other cases I need to boost to make processing quickly and comes back to low power.

I Saw that some Bios its possible tu setup to boost, but, when we do it the processor will work all time in boost mode and causing hi power energy required.

I´d like to call a function with allow by software enter and exit from boost and in other case set to low power.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
OliveiraKOL
Beginner

Hi Alex,

I´d like to know if what I whant to do is possible and if it is how to do.

In some PCB when I enter on BIOS Menu, there are options do change the clock source from the reccomended to other not recomended but the processor supoorts them, as increasing the defalut clock speed to other ones.  I know that the clock speed is directly involved with the energy required as current and termal.

I dont whant to set a constant boost because it decrease the processor life time.

I´d like to know if it is possible be done by software priviliegied instruction with changes certain hardware flags that allow:

1) Reduce normal power required by decreasing the normal clock speed.

2) Encrease the processor speed by increasing the normal clock.

I´d like to make it only during some conditions and with programmed time limit not more than few seconds.

Regards,

0 Kudos