Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

intel mpi 2021.6 on windows

Frank_R_1
Beginner

Hi,

We are now using Intel oneAPI 2021.6 MPI library on Windows and Linux (used Intel MPI 2018.3 before).

Why does killing mpiexec.exe does not terminate the child processes on Windows?

With Intel MPI 2018.3 killing mpiexec(.exe) on Linux and Windows terminates all childs and returns.

Now on Windows, hydra_pmi_proxy.exe and it's childs remain after mpiexec.exe was killed.

This behavior is disturbing and was not expected!

We start with:

mpiexec.exe -np # -delegate -localroot -genvall -print-all-exitcodes -genv I_MPI_JOB_SIGNAL_PROPAGATION 1 -genv I_MPI_HYDRA_BSTRAP_KEEP_ALIVE 1

#path to program

We use I_MPI_HYDRA_BSTRAP_KEEP_ALIVE to be able to kill the process tree under mpiexec.exe with taskkill, otherwise no proper process tree kill is possible.

Nevertheless the process tree should completely terminate when mpiexec.exe is killed.

Best regards

Frank

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SantoshY_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

As this is a known issue, the developers are still working on a fix for this issue. We will get back to you if the issue is fixed in future oneAPI releases.

Thanks & Regards,

Santosh

0 Kudos
Frank_R_1
Beginner

Hi,

Close it!

Best regards

Frank

0 Kudos
RabiyaSK_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for your patience. The issue has been fixed in 2021.7 Intel MPI Library release and no longer exists in latest Intel MPI versions. The hydra_pmi_proxy.exe and it's child processes do not remain after mpiexec.exe is killed in Windows as well. Here are the screenshots for your reference.

If you are still facing the issue, you can reach out to us.

RabiyaSK_Intel_0-1700066313445.png

If not, could you please accept this as a solution as it would help other users with a similar issues and could we close the thread as well?

Thanks & Regards,

Shaik Rabiya

0 Kudos
RabiyaSK_Intel

Hi,

Upon your confirmation we are closing this thread. If you have any additional questions you can post a question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks & Regards,

Shaik Rabiya

0 Kudos