Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

AVX2 FMA warning

PSINH5
Beginner

After installing the Intel-Optimized Tensorflow with MKL-DNN, why does it still say that AVX2, FMA, etc, are not supported. Can someone please guide me in detail about this? I am looking to get the best performance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ying_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Sinha, 

Don't worry, it is expected message,  because we actually build  the intel -optimized Tensorflow with general Instruction AVX by design.  Thus the message mentioned advanced instruction AVX2 and FMA  are not supported.  But as Intel-Optimized Tensorflow are based on MKL-DNN, which can automatically detect CPU instruction and distribute CPU-specific code to the machines with AVX2, AVX512 etc.   So the kerner code speeded by Intel MKL-DNN is actually not limited by the TF build Option.  

We will consider to add such message somewhere.  And the TF Guide is here : https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-optimization-for-tensorflow-installation-guide ;

Note: All binaries distributed by Intel were built against the TensorFlow v1.12.0 tag in a centOS container with gcc 4.8.5 and glibc 2.17 with the following compiler flags (shown below as passed to bazel*)

--cxxopt=-D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0 --copt=-march=corei7-avx --copt=-mtune=core-avx-i --copt=-O3

Best Regards,

Ying 

0 Kudos