Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Apple Arm Chip Support

huizhen
Beginner

Hi developers

I am a fresh user of oneMKL. I am working on Mac OS platform. And I have a question: Does this library currently support the Mac Arm architecture? Or how can I get an arm-based oneMKL library? Thanks!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
ShanmukhS_Intel

Hi Huizhenshi,

Thanks for posting on Intel Communities.

Does this library currently support the Mac Arm architecture?

>>Please refer to the below link for details related to oneMKL system compatibility.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/system-requirements/oneapi-math-kernel-library-system-requirements.html

Best Regards,

Shanmukh.SS

0 Kudos
huizhen
Beginner

I noticed there is no mentioned Apple Dev IDE XCode. So is it not being supported?

0 Kudos
JohanR
Beginner

If you look in that document under Supported Hardware Platforms / CPU you see that only Intel CPUs are supported.

/Johan Råde

0 Kudos
ShanmukhS_Intel

Hi Huizhenshi,

As per the system requirements mentioned in an earlier thread, we regret to inform you that the architecture mentioned is not supported as of now.

Best Regards,

Shanmukh.SS

0 Kudos
huizhen
Beginner

So is there a plan to support the Arm-based MKL library by intel? Or If building an Arm-based MKL library with source code (https://github.com/oneapi-src/oneMKL), are there any potential problems here?

0 Kudos
ShanmukhS_Intel

Hi Huizhenshi,

We are discussing your issue internally. We will get back to you soon with an update.

Best Regards,

Shanmukh.SS

0 Kudos
ShanmukhS_Intel

Hi Huizhen shi,

Is there a plan to support the Arm-based MKL library by intel?

>>At the moment there are no plans to add support for Apple's ARM-based processors.

In addition, There is a difference between oneMKL Interfaces/the GitHub repo and Intel oneMKL that was pointed out.

Intel oneMKL Interfaces/the GitHub repo is a wrapper library around several backends like cuBLAS for Nvidia, etc. The user is free to modify the source code to add an Apple backend (using, e.g., Apple Accelerate) The wrapper library uses Intel oneMKL on Intel platforms.

Intel oneMKL is Intel's implementation for Intel CPUs and GPUs.

Best Regards,

Shanmukh.SS

0 Kudos
ShanmukhS_Intel

Hi Huizhen Shi,

A gentle reminder:

Has the information provided helped? Could you please let us know if you need any other information?

Best Regards,

Shanmukh.SS

0 Kudos
Hsbsh
Beginner

Actually, it does not tune for Intel only It supports AMD now too offically with tuning for it. As for ARM, SVE2 is being merged in libxsmm, that is a key component of OneMKL.

0 Kudos
Kirill_V_Intel
Employee

I'd like to correct this: LIBXSMM does not belong to OneMKL and is not even a part of oneAPI. It's a separate project. It supports ARM indeed but this fact is not related to oneMKL support on Mac/ARM.

Best,
Kirill

0 Kudos
ShanmukhS_Intel

Hi Huizhen,

Actually, it does not tune for Intel only It supports AMD now too offically with tuning for it. As for ARM, SVE2 is being merged in libxsmm, that is a key component of OneMKL.

>> Thanks for getting back to us. We would like to request you elaborate on your issue so that it helps us understand better.

Best Regards,

Shanmukh.SS

0 Kudos
ShanmukhS_Intel

Hi Huizhen shi,

A gentle reminder:

Has the information provided by Kiril helped? Could you please let us know if we could close this case at our end?

LIBXSMM does not belong to OneMKL and is not a part of oneAPI. It's a separate project. It supports ARM indeed but this fact is not related to oneMKL support on Mac/ARM.

Best Regards.

Shanmukh.SS

0 Kudos
ShanmukhS_Intel

Hi Huizhen shi,

We have not heard back from you. This is to kindly inform you that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Best Regards,

Shanmukh.SS

0 Kudos