Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6984 Discussions

How to disable Intel MKL WARNING: Support of Intel(R) Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.2

TomA1
Beginner

This is essentially the same as https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-oneAPI-Math-Kernel-Library/CPU-Deprecation-Warning/m-p/1549234/thread-id/35527.

However, the mitigation suggested in that topic does not change the behavior for me.

export MKL_ENABLE_INSTRUCTIONS=SSE4_2

I'm getting this warning in Python/NumPy using libblas, libcblas and liblapack (20_osx64_mkl) provided by conda for Mac OSX64. I have a Mac M2 but am running use Rosetta.

Is there ANY way to persistently disable the warning? In some of my applications the warning is causing failures because the warning is sent to STDOUT and that ends up getting into a file output.

Note that for some reason I am unable to reply in the original thread, which is why I made a new topic. Thanks in advance for any help.

As a refresher, the exact warning is:

Intel MKL WARNING: Support of Intel(R) Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.2 (Intel(R) SSE4.2) enabled only processors has been deprecated. Intel oneAPI Math Kernel Library 2025.0 will require Intel(R) Advanced Vector Extensions (Intel(R) AVX) instructions.
5 Replies
Gagan
Beginner

who does this guy think he is, using ARM and expecting it to compete with x86? lol.

anyways, i'm having this issue too. looks like it affects mac users only.

i hope it doesn't get fixed in some ways, because then i'll just roll back to 2020 (less functionality for the extended eigensolvers, no doubt) but i'll get to see tom continue to wallow.

"but i'm using rosetta" as if that will help his dinky processor (that needed a modified cinebench with the SAME SCENE to get good numbers) hahahahhaha

i never thought someone would have the gall to even try this on their mobile phone processor. but of course, he bought an APPUL and expects x86 performance. i can't wait till this blows up in tim APPUL's face

0 Kudos
Fengrui

This warning is now sent to STDERR in the latest 2024.1 version. But unfortunately oneMKL's support for MacOS deprecated in release 2023.0 and has been discontinued since 2024.0.

Fengrui

0 Kudos
Gagan
Beginner

hi fengrui,

thanks for this information.

i am assuming you are trying to tell us that oneAPI 2023.x. toolkit cannot suppress this warning using 

export MKL_ENABLE_INSTRUCTIONS=SSE4_2

what version of the oneAPI would not have this warning?

0 Kudos
Fengrui

There is ongoing discussion on this topic. I will update later once it is finalized.

0 Kudos
Gagan
Beginner
0 Kudos