Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

mkl_intel_thread.1.dll was not found

yzhu
Beginner

Hi,

I have some problems running Fortran under Visual Studio 2019. The versions of products I have are Intel Parallel Studio XE 2020, Fortran Numerical Library for Windows/Intel Parallel Studio XE (x64), and Intel one API Base & HPC 2022.

The solutions can be built with no error except that a window pops up saying that "The code execution cannot proceed because mkl_intel_thread.1.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem." In particular, it occurs when I call a function.

My issue looks similar to the one here https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-oneAPI-Math-Kernel-Library/mkl-intel-thread-1-dll-was-not-found/td-p/1287801 I tried to add a path under Environment Variable but it did not work. Could anyone please elaborate on what I should do? Thank you.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi Yifan,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Could you please confirm if you have enabled /Qmkl option (as shown in the screenshot) in the project configuration properties and still getting the error?

VidyalathaB_Intel_0-1668056010172.png

If yes, we request you please share your VS project file with a sample reproducer so that we can check it from our end as well.

You can refer to the following article for more details

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/training/how-to-build-onemkl-application-in-visual-fortran-msvs.html

Additionally, we suggest you to please try running the code from Intel oneAPI command prompt and do let us know if you still face the same issue.

Regards,

Vidya.

0 Kudos
yzhu
Beginner

Hi Vidya,

Thank you for your reply! I have attached the project that has this issue. 

I have compared my settings with those in the sample project found in your link. In fact, this problem can be fixed when I change the line "INCLUDE 'LINK_FNL_SHARED.h'" to "INCLUDE 'LINK_FNL_SHARED_IMSL.h'", though I am not sure about the mechanism. 

Apart from that, using the same settings, when I run the two validating programs provided by imsl (https://help.imsl.com/fortran/current/common/README.html), I receive the error messages (please see the attached). Are they also related to my previous issue? 

0 Kudos
VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi Yifan,

Thanks for sharing the details.

Could you please let us know if you are calling routines from Intel oneMKL library in your code and not from IMSL?

I tried running the code and below is the error message that I'm getting that is different from yours.

VidyalathaB_Intel_0-1668168702835.png

Regards,

Vidya.

0 Kudos
yzhu
Beginner

Hi Vidya,

Thank you for your reply. I have attached a new project using the sample codes of CNR (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/onemkl-windows-developer-guide/top/obtaining-numerically-reproducible-results/code-examples.html) with a screenshot of the result. I think I am only using the OneAPI MKL library this time. 

I need to use IMSL at some point. But would you please let me know if the attached figure means that I have misspecified anything for the OneAPI MKL? 

Thanks again for your time.

0 Kudos
VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi Yifan,

Thanks for providing us the details.

We are working on this issue, we will get back to you soon.

Regards,

Vidya.

0 Kudos
VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi Yifan,

I apologize for the delay and thanks for your patience.

In the reproducer code, Include 'mkl.fi' is commented out in line 2, therefore the attempt to call mkl_malloc triggers an access violation. 

After including the mkl.fi file, we see errors because of multiple declarations of mkl_malloc and mkl_free, so comment out the corresponding lines (7-12). Besides that, the arguments of mkl_malloc cause another error. You may remove the %VAL calls. An example of calling mkl_malloc in Fortran can be found in $MKLROOT/examples/f/service/source/servicefuncs.f.

Please find the attached project file with the above changes, try running it, and do let us know if you face any issues.

Regards,

Vidya.

0 Kudos
yzhu
Beginner

Hi Vidya,

Thank you for your time and all the explanations! I can get those errors when I comment on different parts of the codes.

In fact, I am able to run my own Fortran codes with these libraries. Setting up the properties can be very tricky but I have not encountered many serious issues so far.

Best,

Yifan

0 Kudos
VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi Yifan,

Thanks for getting back to us.

You can refer to the following link for more details regarding linking a project in VS with Intel oneMKL

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/onemkl-windows-developer-guide/top/linking-your-application-with-onemkl.html

If there are no further queries, could you please confirm if we can close this thread from our end?

Regards,

Vidya.

0 Kudos
yzhu
Beginner

Hi Vidya,

I have no further queries. Please close the thread. Thank you!

Best,

Yifan

0 Kudos
VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi Yifan,

Thanks for the confirmation! (you can help others with a similar issue by marking the reply which helped you as an accepted solution)

Please post a new question if you need any additional information from Intel as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Have a Nice Day!

Regards,

Vidya.

0 Kudos