Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

Is enumerable_thread_specific reuseable?

cake
Beginner

Hi I would like to reuse thread local storage in multiple parallel_for as following:

```

tbb::enumerable_thread_specific<T> ParallelT;
tbb::parallel_for(tbb::blocked_range<int>(0, n)), [&](const tbb::blocked_range<int> &r) {
  tbb::enumerable_thread_specific<T>::reference local_T = ParallelT.local();
  for (auto i = r.begin(); i < r.end(); i++) {
     /// local_T changed and stored
  });
}

// Then I do some work, and try to reuse the ParallelT via iterating them.
tbb::parallel_for_each( ParallelT.begin(), ParallelT.end(), [&](...) {
  // Question: do I still get the thread local storage in this parallel_for_each?
}
});
```

As shown, I want to reuse my built TLS in another parallel_for_each. Do I get the TLS correctly without calling `.local` function? Is here a parallel_for_each or a parallel_for a correct behavior to reuse the TLS?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SeshaP_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

The Class enumerable_thread_specific(ETS) provides thread local storage that acts like an STL container with one element per thread.

You can get the thread local storage in the tbb::parallel_for_each block. You can use another reference and call the .local() function in tbb::parallel_for_each block.

You can refer to the OneTBB Pro Textbook, page no:165.

Thanks and Regards,

Pendyala Sesha Srinivas

0 Kudos
SeshaP_Intel

Hi,

Has the information provided above helped? If yes, could you please confirm whether we can close this thread from our end?

Thanks and Regards,

Pendyala Sesha Srinivas

0 Kudos
SeshaP_Intel

Hi,

We assume that your issue is resolved. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks and Regards,

Pendyala Sesha Srinivas

0 Kudos