Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

Intel EMA Recovery Server - network requirements

neilbrin
New Contributor I

I currently have a TEST Intel EMA platform configured in AWS using the documentation provided by Intel for a multi-web server deployment. I also have AWS based load balancers configured in front of these web servers, with one ELB for Swarm traffic (tcp/8080) and one ELB for Management (tcp/443 & tcp/8084) . I can't find anywher ein the Intel documentaiton as to the traffic flows required for the Recovery server connectivity (tcp/8085) and whether the traffic is to/from the endpoint to the Intel EMA web servers or the traffic is required from the support/management host to the EMA web servers. I've read through the documentation in the link below, but couldn't find anything useful, so just wondering if there are any diagrams or details around the Recovery server network traffic and firewall requirements;
https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/default.htm?turl=WordDocuments%2Foneclickrecovery.htm

0 Kudos
9 Replies
neilbrin
New Contributor I

Also, I couldn't see this traffic listed in the diagram (see attached), whcih is form this document;
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/software/manageability-products/intel-ema-web-deployment-guide.pdf

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello neilbrin,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To continue with your request, can you please share with us the exact EMA version you are currently using?

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
neilbrin
New Contributor I

Hi Victor,

We are currently using Intel EMA v1.9.0.0

Regards,

Neil...

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello neilbrin,

Thank you for your response.

Please let me review this information internally, and kindly wait for an update.

Once we have more information to share, we will post it on this thread.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Hi, if you are looking for more detail for recovery server, please check this guide and Section 6.6:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/software/manageability-products/intel-ema-distibuted-seve-installation-and-maintenance-guide.pdf

Unfortunately, we do not have any diagrams available. Secondly, there is a deployment guide for AWS that might help:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/software/manageability-products/intel-ema-web-deployment-guide.pdf

0 Kudos
neilbrin
New Contributor I

Thanks Michael.

I can see from the documentation it appears that the intra-EMA Recovery server traffic is on tcp/8095, but the default port for the Recovery component is listed as tcp/8085 . What I'm trying to establish is whether we need tcp/8085 port open from the endpoints to the Recovery server[s] (similar to the tcp/8080 swarm traffic) , or does it need to be open from the management/support workstations (ie. similar to the tcp/443 [web], tcp/8084 [websocket] traffic). This answer has impacts on firewall rules, security groups and possibly load balancers.

Also, are there any recommendations around using a Load Balance/Traget group (AWS) for this Recovery traffic?

Finally in Section 6.6 Recovery Server settings (Intel EMA Distributed Server installation and maintenance guide) in the 'UI: Server IPs' row, it states Ajax server and I think this should be 'Recovery' server?

Thanks again,

Neil...

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Hi Neil,

I know there is tons of information in our documentation and could be missed or need clarification, so thank you for reaching out to us with your questions.

In Section 2 of the installation guide under General Installation Notes, instructions to setup Recovery load balancer:

For the health monitoring rule of the Recovery server load balancer, use 8085 for the port and TCP for the protocol. For the load balancing rule for the Recovery Server load balancer, use 8085 for the front-end and back-end ports, TCP for the protocol, and do not enable session persistence.

Firewall rules required is Endpoint connecting to EMA Server on port TCP 8085. TCP 8095 is for internal communication between Recovery and other EMA server components (Swarm, Manageability, Ajax). Recovery server rule will be similar to Swarm server rule except on TCP 8085.

Finally, yes, you are correct, it should be Recovery server and not Ajax server. I will feed this back to the publishers, thank you.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
neilbrin
New Contributor I

Excellent. Thanks Michael.

This is the information I was after. Much appreciated

Regards,

Neil...

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Thank you Neil, happy to help.