Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3061 Discussions

Intra only encoder with MFX_RATECONTROL_VBR with lowpower:ON results in inaccurate bitrate (flat QP)

kmawassi
Novice

With lowpower mode is ON, and GopPicSize is 1, The VBR Target BitRate control method (MFX_RATECONTROL_VBR) results in very inaccurate file size and doesn't converge.

Repro command line:
sample_encode h265 -hw -nv12 -lowpower:on -f 30 -perf_opt 32 -n 512 -w 1920 -h 1080 -b 30000 -g 1 -r 1 -i crowdrun_NV12_1080p.yuv -o output.h265

When investigating the output h265, we observe that the Quantization Parameter for each picture is almost flat and is not modified to converge the file-size toward the target bitrate.

The obtained HEVC file looks to have a QP that is almost flat.

kmawassi_0-1701899866977.png

CPU model: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1235U (also reproduced on 13th Gen Inte(R) Core(TM) i5-1335u)
Kernel: 6.1.32-060132-generic
OneVPL runtime 2022Q3: 22.5.4

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SreedeviK_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel communities.

This is a duplicate thread of https://community.intel.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/media-products/message-id/15153#M15153 

Hence we are closing this thread. Your issue would be addressed in the other thread mentioned .

Regards,

Sreedevi

0 Kudos
kmawassi
Novice

Hi,
The duplicate thread link points to this same issue. Can you provide me the correct link please ?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
DiyaN_Intel

Hi, 

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

There was some technical issues from our end and we are working on the fix.

In the meantime could you please share the tool name / tool through which you got that quantized graph which will help us to investigate further?

Regards,

Diya

0 Kudos
kmawassi
Novice

Hi,
I was using an evaluation version of the Elecard StreamEye tool.
Also, we can compute the file average bitrate to see that it is far from the specified target bitrate.
AvgBitrate (bits/s) = (FileSize_Bytes x 8 bits / Byte) / StreamDuration_Sec = FileSize_Bits / (NbFrames / FramesPerSec) = FileSize_Bits * FramesPerSec / NbFrames

Thanks,
Khalil

0 Kudos
DiyaN_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for providing the valuable input.

We are working on this internally and get back to you with an update soon.

Thanks,

Diya Nandy

0 Kudos