Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

HEVC HW Encode Support on Windows 10

huanmo
Beginner

I'm testing the hevc hw encoder with media sdk sample on windows 10 and  find the hevc hw encoder was supported or not with different Graphics driver version. For example, with the Graphics driver version 27.20.100.9030 it can run hevc hw encoder but with the version 23.20.100.xxxx it can't run.

So I want to know from which Graphics driver version on windows can support hevc hw encoder?

Environment information:

cpu: Intel i7-8700 

gpu: Intel Graphics UHD 630

sdk: Media SDK 2020

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel forums.

We will check on this internally and let you know.

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Gong,

Sorry for the late response. If you are asking about Media SDK enabling a hardware, there are actually 2 questions:

1. If the hardware has the hardware codec, if you check ark.intel.com for the processor spec, you will find "Graphics UHD 630" should have the hardware codec(called QSV).
  2. If the hardware support the HEVC codec, when you go to the following table, it listed the hardware capability, Coffee Lake should be the same as KBL, so the codec should be supported. https://github.com/intel/media-driver#decodingencoding-features
  3. If the driver can enable the hardware. This is the complicated question, I can't figure out the what does the version mean.

But for driver, you can always go to downloadcenter.intel.com to download the latest driver, this should make sure it is supported.

Let me know if this solves your problem.

Mark

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Gong,

Did my answer solve your question?

Basically, Intel graphic driver should align very well to the hardware codec capability in the processors. Except the link in previous post, there is also a post for the hardware capability of 7th generation processors or newer, please check it.

If you don't have further questions, I will stop monitoring this post in a week.

Mark Liu

0 Kudos