Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

Intel xeon processors with HEVC 10-bit decode/encode support

parksh
New Contributor I

Good day,

If you look at the Intel Media sdk homepage, you can find this on the list of supported processors.

For the Intel Xeon E5 processor (versions 4 and 5) and 1st and 2nd generation Intel Xeon Scalable processors, support of software-only (CPU) HEVC decode and encode, select video preprocessing (CSC, scaling, DI), and virtualization (kernel-based virtual machine, Xen Project Hypervisor*) is available

1. Is it possible to decode and encode software-only (CPU) HEVC 10 bits (4:2:0, 4:2:2) with Xeon E5 v4 or v5 all processors?

2. Is the Intel Media SDK free for use by the company?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities. We are working on this internally. We will get back to you soon with an update.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
parksh
New Contributor I

Additionally, I would like to know each of the CPU/HW accel HEVC 8bit/10bit (4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4) decode/encode Xeon and Desktop CPU processors.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
roy5

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Here are my responses to your questions:

1. Yes, Media SDK SW implementation supports HEVC 4:2:0/4:2:2 8 and 10 bit decode. It supports a wide range of CPUs, including Xeon V4/5. If you face any issue while running Media SDK on Xeon E5 processors, please let us know. However, Media SDK will no longer receive any feature updates. So we would highly encourage switching to oneVPL. More documentation is being prepared for Media SDK SW transition options. Please stay tuned.
  2. Media SDK is open source and free for use. Intel also regularly contributes to FFmpeg.

Thanks,

Rupak

0 Kudos