Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

OpenGL support with media sdk server

rshal2
New Contributor II

Hello,

Is openGL supported with media sdk server ? Is there a demo/example ?

Regards,

Ran

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Ran, 

Can you tell us more about your application in which you are planning to use OpenGL and MSDK to help you better that if that is feasible and how it can be achieved.  
There is an article written a while back on texture sharing from Intel Media SDK to openGL, which you might wanna look at https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/texture-sharing-from-intel-media-sdk-to-opengl

Hope it helps!

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
rshal2
New Contributor II

Hi,

Thanks for the link.

Yes we plan to start a project with the following:

media sdk server , CentOs, which shall encode muldiple HDMI channels (5) and decode HDMI channel.

The graphic additional might be some symbolic (simple text, buttons, etc).
I am interested to know if OpenGL is supported with media sdk.

Regards,

Ran 

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Ran, 

Thanks for providing the information. What I am understanding from the description is that it looks like that you would like to set up 1:N transcode pipeline (1 decode followed by 5 encode sessions). To do so you don't need openGL.
If the above understanding is not correct, do you mind clarifying the pipeline and where the OpenGL fits in. 
Along with that, can you please tell us the resolution of your input to decode and if you will encode at a different resolution? 
Are you planning to work on CentOS 7.1 or an old version of CentOS?  

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
rshal2
New Contributor II

Hi Surbhi,

Thanks for the comments,

As I wrote above, aside from the encoding/decoding we might add symbolics on the image, such as buttons or other text/symbol. The symbols might change according to externak command.

How can we achieve this symbolic graphic ? Should we use OpenGL for this capability ?

Regards,

Ran

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hi Ran, OpenGL is a good place to start to add objects as you mention. For that, the article referred above (MSDK->OCL->OGL) is a good place to start - https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/texture-sharing-from-intel-media-sdk-to-openglIf your requirement is simpler than that, for example adding watermark or logo etc -> you can use the composition filter in VPP as well (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/video-composition-using-intel-media-sdk).

If your requirement is more specific that the resources above, please send us the details on your pipeline and what you layers you plan to add to your video.

0 Kudos
rshal2
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I would like to use media sdk sevrer (on linux) with opengl capability.

something like the following:

<app over openGL > ------->   ----- media sdk server ----->  opengl framebuffer 

It seems that the above link is for Windows (D3D), but I do not plan to work with windows, or windows display card, but just need the opengl surface/frames from the GPU with media sdk server (on linux).

We will need to have framwbuffer /dev/fbX which can be used for the OpenGL surface input and output buffer that can be send to display

Is that possible ?

Thank you!

Ran

0 Kudos