Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

HAL API for the Generic Serial Flash Interface FPGA IP, 'altera_safeclib'

meenalkb
Novice

In the user guide for the Generic Serial Flash Interface (GSFI) it says "altera_safeclib" must be enabled in the BSP editor to use the HAL API for this device.

With a Quartus 21.1 install and the accompanying NIOS II Software Build Tools for Eclipse I've searched through the BSP Editor UI and can't this setting at all. Also, when I generate the Eclipse BSP from my sopcinfo file, there are no HAL driver files generated for the GSFI.

Does anyone know how I can enable HAL support for this IP?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
hareesh
Employee

Hi Meenalkb,

To enable the Generic Serial Flash Interface (GSFI) use the HAL API and follow the below steps in Eclipse.

1. BSP Editor->Nios II
  2. file paths of .sopcinfo and .bsp (new or old) in the open BSP window and click on open.
  3. A platform design window will be open in which you select the BSP software packages option. In that, just enable the altera_safeclib option.
  4. Select Generate BSP.

once the BSP generation is completed. Check in the drivers->inc and drivers->src folders. for

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683419/22-1-20-1-1/nios-ii-hal-driver.html

• intel_generic_serial_flash_interface_top.h
  • intel_generic_serial_flash_interface_top.c

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 Replies
hareesh
Employee

Hi Meenalkb,

To enable the Generic Serial Flash Interface (GSFI) use the HAL API and follow the below steps in Eclipse.

1. BSP Editor->Nios II
  2. file paths of .sopcinfo and .bsp (new or old) in the open BSP window and click on open.
  3. A platform design window will be open in which you select the BSP software packages option. In that, just enable the altera_safeclib option.
  4. Select Generate BSP.

once the BSP generation is completed. Check in the drivers->inc and drivers->src folders. for

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683419/22-1-20-1-1/nios-ii-hal-driver.html

• intel_generic_serial_flash_interface_top.h
  • intel_generic_serial_flash_interface_top.c

0 Kudos
meenalkb
Novice

meenalkb_0-1655457090123.png

As you can see, I don't see the altera_safeclib option under Software Packages. What now? 

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

can you share screen shot of that ?

0 Kudos
meenalkb
Novice

I did include a screenshot - perhaps you can't see it. I've attached one now.

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

gsfi ip need enable setting then regenerate sopcinfo then should see altera_safeclib

0 Kudos
meenalkb
Novice

Hmm tried that.

That makes no difference whatsoever.

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

which version are you using?

0 Kudos
meenalkb
Novice
0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

Screenshot (45).png

also tested in Quartus 21.1. That option is available in Quartus 21.1. I think the problem is in software only. It's better to re-install or update the software.

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

can you pls share your platform_design

0 Kudos
meenalkb
Novice

Hi @hareesh ,

I've attached the .qsys and the .sopcinfo. 

I don't know if this is relevant but the IP cores were originally from a Quartus Prime 18.1 design and have been upgraded by the tool to 21.1.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

Hi, MEENAL BURROWS,

We have tried reproduce the issue with your shared files but we couldn't reproduce it. There no issue in our environment. Attaching a snapshot of project where you can see the option is available in our environment.  we require remote access of your machine to debug this issue further

Annotation 2022-06-22 152943.png

Thanks & regards,

Hareesh B

0 Kudos
meenalkb
Novice

Thank you for checking this on your setup Hareesh.

Can we arrange a session to debug this issue on my machine?

0 Kudos
meenalkb
Novice

@hareesh 
Are there special licensing requirements for the Generic Serial Flash Interface IP? I have tried this on a different machine with no luck.

I really only want the source files for information purposes. Would you be able to zip and send these to me via email?

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

Hi meenalkb

you can find IP license details in IP user guide. please find a attachment for project source files.

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

Hi meenalkb,

Since I had provided you the solution and did not received any feedback from you, I shall set this case to close pending. If you still need further assistance, you are welcome reopen this case within 20days or open a new case, some one will be right with you.

I shall set this case to close pending,

If you happened to close this case you will receive a survey. If you think you would rank your support experience less than 10 out of 10, please allow me to correct it before closing or if the problem can’t be corrected, please let me know the cause so that I may improve your future service experience.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Hareesh B.

0 Kudos
meenalkb
Novice

Hi Hareesh,

Thank you for sharing the source files, that's very helpful.

However, it would really help me to understand why my Quartus 21.1 install is behaving as it is. I requested a remote session in a previous ticket and I'd be happy to go ahead with this if you can arrange it.

Thanks

Meenal

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

hi

can you please check on another machine. 

0 Kudos
meenalkb
Novice

Hi Hareesh

Yes, I did check on a colleague's machine and had the same problem.

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

did you checked with i shared files?

0 Kudos