Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

A Strange Address

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I burn a hardware imge to my falsh, following info displays in the console: 

..............................................................................# Programming flash with the FPGA configuration 

$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/nios2-flash-programmer --input=standard.flash --sof=$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/components/altera_nios_dev_board_cyclone_1c20/system/altera_nios_dev_board_cyclone_1c20.sof --base=0x00800000 

I have checked in the SOPC Builder, the address 0x00800000~0x00ffffff is not allocated to any device, 

but in the info it says "--base=0x00800000".  

Why? 

http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When the flash programmer is downloading an image to flash, it first puts it&#39;s own Nios core on the FPGA (in this case altera_nios_dev_board_cyclone_1c20.sof). The address listed with the --base parameter is the base address of the flash device within this core and has nothing to do with the base address in your own core. 

Dennis Scott 

Microtronix Datacom Ltd.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, Dennis. 

Thanks for your help. 

In the example of standard, SOPC Builder assign the base addresses automatically,  

but why doesn&#39;t it asign the address of 0x00800000~0x0FFFFFF to a device?  

Does it have something to do with the base address (0x00800000) of CFI in the <altera_nios_dev_board_cyclone_1c20/system/altera_nios_dev_board_cyclone_1c20.sof>?
0 Kudos