Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

DS-5 unable to connect (C5-SoC). FLEXnet Licensing error: -88

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have recently attended to a SoCKit workshop to have the first contact with the Cyclone V SoC architecture. Some days later I tried to go again through the steps of the hands-on to be able to see more deeply the workflow which was introduced to us. 

At a certain step I have to debug the program in the chip with the Eclipse environment. In the SoC SW Lab step number 3.4 section 4 I get a strange error, which I guess has to do with the license, although I have followed all the steps to license the 30-days evaluation and the environment recognizes it. 

The exact error is the following: 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7546  

Has anybody any clue why can this be happening? 

The materials of the seminar can be found here (http://www.arrownac.com/solutions/sockit/) --> getting started --> download the SoCKit lab materials. Inside there is the SoC SW Lab guide which I refer above, in case somebody wants to see the exact context of the issue. 

Thank you very much in advance
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is probably not related but if you use the LM_LICENSE_FILE variable for references to your DS-5 and Quartus II / IP licenses make sure DS-5 is the first one listed. I've seen some issues when my Quartus II license is listed first.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I set the problem aside some time but finally I got to solve it. This FLEXnet is an utility which monitores if a certain licensed program is running under a clean PC. That means that it will catch some common "tricks" to evade the licenses limitations and avoid any licensed program to run in such a machine. 

In my case, it detected that I had a file modified after the actual date. It interpreted thus that I had changed the date of the machine and that I could be trying to abuse the license. 

I could not solve this problem without a format of the whole machine. 

In my case, the conflictive file was something inside my TINA-TI installation which I did not modify myself and had a creation data in 2017. Just removing it and reinstalling the whole Altera software did not help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I seem to be having a similar problem. I don't know what is causing this as the license.dat (see attachments) file in the license manager was there by default when I first opened DS-5. 

I am using Windows, and want to debug using USB blaster. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, did you solve this bug?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I seem to be having a similar problem. I don't know what is causing this as the license.dat (see attachments) file in the license manager was there by default when I first opened DS-5. 

I am using Windows, and want to debug using USB blaster. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Thank you. 

--- Quote End ---  

something is not right with your license file, as there is no license type under your license window. You got this license ofmr silver arm or altera based web ?
0 Kudos