Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12609 Discussions

DVD Player with NIOS on Cyclone II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I just wanted to start off with the Cyclone II NIos Board for fun. But looks any decent NIOS board with the capability to do some thing interesting would cost $500. So I wanted to get something useful done out of board that I buy. 

As I wanted a DVD player I am thinking if it is feasible to design the DVD player with the Cyclone II development kit. My idea is to use NIOS, IDE peripheral component, DVD drive and some other additional components to design the complete DVD player. Not done enough analysis still. I am not sure of what additional components would I need. 

Wanted some inputs from forum as to has any one tried anything of this sort. If some one has more useful plaform for this purpose I would be intersted to check out and even buy it from DIY geeks. 

Thanks, 

Anand.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by ashirahatti+oct 10 2005, 04:31 am--><div class='quotetop'>quote (ashirahatti @ oct 10 2005, 04:31 am)</div> 

--- quote start ---  

as i wanted a dvd player i am thinking if it is feasible to design the dvd player with the cyclone ii development kit. my idea is to use nios, ide peripheral component,  dvd drive and some other additional components to design the complete dvd player. not done enough analysis still. i am not sure of what additional components would i need.[/b] 

--- quote end ---  

i&#39;d love to see how you get past the css stuff. that&#39;s been the biggest roadblock to hobbyist dvd players. 

bear in mind that the nios2 isn&#39;t a computationally powerful processor; you&#39;ll be getting 50-100 mhz or so. i&#39;m not sure this is nearly enough performance. 

<!--quotebegin-ashirahatti@Oct 10 2005, 04:31 AM 

wanted some inputs from forum as to has any one tried anything of this sort. if some one has more useful plaform for this purpose i would be intersted to check out and even buy it from diy geeks. 

--- Quote End ---  

Cyclones may be inexpensive, but it wouldn&#39;t be nearly as inexpensive as a plain old DVD player, or one on an existing computer. A 1C20 would run you around $100, and you&#39;d need more than one.
0 Kudos