Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12620 Discussions

Debug code already in FPGA, no download.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The IDE works fine when you build a load and then download it into the FPGA or memory connected to the FPGA. In my application the NIOS fw is part of the FPGA image and is loaded with the FPGA. I have no OS or debug uart so I would like to run, single step, dump registers etc using the NIOS IDE. Is it possible to do this without downloading a new image into the FPGA every time I want to run.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you tried the options in the Run|Debug... menu? There are three ways of debugging - download, attach to running target and reset. The last two don't download the code. I have some vague memory of doing the second option because our FPGC config and NIOS II firmware is usually in flash already but I don't remember the details.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by queisser@Jan 30 2007, 01:21 PM 

have you tried the options in the run|debug... menu? there are three ways of debugging - download, attach to running target and reset. the last two don't download the code. i have some vague memory of doing the second option because our fpgc config and nios ii firmware is usually in flash already but i don't remember the details. 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=21031) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

The radio button "Download program to ram" will not toggle when clicked. It stays on. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif
0 Kudos