Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Difference between Debug mode and run mode of NIOS II Eclipse Tool ?

Yogesh
Novice

Hi,

I want to understand the difference between both debug and run modes of NIOS II eclipse tool. Please provide me the required info.

I understand that debug mode is used to step on each and every line of our C program , so we can see changes which happens in each line of C program.

But there are some features like host file system(fiile read and write) which are not supported in run mode , but are supported in debug mode. Why is that? 

regards,

Yogesh

0 Kudos
6 Replies
EricMunYew_C_Intel

Hi, Yogesh

During debug mode, your target host can actually read write files in your software project directory in your PC host via a Intel FPGA download cable. However, you can try to read write files in your project directory during run mode, but you need a Intel FPGA download cable like a USB blaster between your target host and PC host. Alternatively, there is a read-only zip file subsystem where you can pre-program a zip file subsystem into an external flash, and then you can read file from this zip file subsystem in run mode.

For more details on debug, you may refer to https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/nios2/edh_ed51003.pdf

During run mode, your can run your program directly from flash device or external RAM or on-chip RAM internal to the FPGA.

Thanks.

Eric

0 Kudos
Yogesh
Novice

Hi ,

I am doing TCP IP NIOS example design. In the same project I am trying to read data from files in run mode . But I am not able to establish the link . The same code runs in debug mode . I am able to read data in debug mode and link is also established here. But I am not able to do the same in run mode.

I am referring NIOS II software developer handbook .It says,

7.8.1. Host-Based File System

• The host-based file system only operates while debugging a project. It cannot be
used for run sessions.

So according to this I can't mount files and I can't do file operations in run mode.

Am I wrong somewhere ?

Regards 

Yogesh  

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

Hi, Yogesh

You can only mount files during debug mode.

However, you can try to read write files in the project directory using Intel FPGA download cable during run mode.

Thanks.

Eric

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

Hi, Yogesh

Can we close this ?

Thanks.

Eric

0 Kudos
Yogesh
Novice
0 Kudos