Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12620 Discussions

Error occurred during enumeration of RISC-V harts (no harts found)

CShih23
Beginner

My OS is Ubuntu 22.04 with kernel version 6.5.0-28-generic, and I'm using the Arria® 10 GX FPGA Development Kit (10AX115S2F45I1SG). My Quartus Prime version is 23.4.
Following the 'AN 985: Nios® V Processor Tutorial', I went through the flow of Quartus Prime and RiscFree. The simulation was successful. However, after programming the .sof file into the device and attempting to use RiscFree for debugging, I encountered an error stating 'error occurred during enumeration of RISC-V harts.' Additionally, when I tried 

niosv-download -g ./hello.elf -c 1

it also displayed an error.

INFO: Generating OpenOCD config file. Running "openocd-cfg-gen --cable=1 /tmp/tmpbb8fmj5o/niosv.cfg".
INFO: Starting OpenOCD. Running "openocd -c tcl_port disabled -c gdb_port 0 -c telnet_port 0 -f /tmp/tmpbb8fmj5o/niosv.cfg".
[OpenOCD output] Open On-Chip Debugger 0.11.0-R22.4
[OpenOCD output] Licensed under GNU GPL v2
[OpenOCD output] For bug reports, read
[OpenOCD output] http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
[OpenOCD output] Info : only one transport option; autoselect 'jtag'
[OpenOCD output] Info : Application name is OpenOCD.20240513171413
[OpenOCD output] Info : Attempting to find 'USB-BlasterII [1-5.1]'
[OpenOCD output]
[OpenOCD output] Info : Cable 1: device_name=(null), hw_name=USB-BlasterII, server=(null), port=1-5.1, chain_id=0x5fa2a2898c70, persistent_id=1, chain_type=1, features=2048, server_version_info=(null)
[OpenOCD output] Info : TAP position 0 (2E660DD) has 2 SLD nodes
[OpenOCD output] Info : node 0 idcode=08986E00 position_n=0
[OpenOCD output] Info : node 1 idcode=0C006E00 position_n=0
[OpenOCD output] Info : TAP position 1 (20A40DD) has 2 SLD nodes
[OpenOCD output] Info : node 0 idcode=1C106E00 position_n=0
[OpenOCD output] Info : node 1 idcode=30286E00 position_n=0
[OpenOCD output] Info : Discovered 2 TAP devices
[OpenOCD output] Info : Detected device (tap_position=0) device_id=02e660dd, instruction_length=10, features=4, device_name=10AX115H(1|2|3|4|4E3)/..
[OpenOCD output] Info : Found an Intel device at tap_position 0.Currently assuming it is SLD Hub
[OpenOCD output] Info : Detected device (tap_position=1) device_id=020a40dd, instruction_length=10, features=4, device_name=5M(1270ZF324|2210Z)/EPM2210
[OpenOCD output] Info : Found an Intel device at tap_position 1.Currently assuming it is SLD Hub
[OpenOCD output] Info : This adapter doesn't support configurable speed
[OpenOCD output] Info : JTAG tap: tap_02E660DD.0 tap/device found: 0x02e660dd (mfg: 0x06e (Altera), part: 0x2e66, ver: 0x0)
[OpenOCD output] Info : JTAG tap: tap_020A40DD.0 tap/device found: 0x020a40dd (mfg: 0x06e (Altera), part: 0x20a4, ver: 0x0)
[OpenOCD output] Info : JTAG tap: tap_02E660DD.0 Parent Tap found: 0x02e660dd (mfg: 0x06e (Altera), part: 0x2e66, ver: 0x0)
[OpenOCD output] Info : Virtual Tap/SLD node 0x08986E00 found at tap position 0 vtap position 0
[OpenOCD output] Error: DMI operation didn't complete in 120 seconds. The target is either really slow or broken. You could increase the timeout with riscv set_command_timeout_sec.
ERROR: Found error in OpenOCD, exiting.

juart-terminal also stucked and showed nothing.

This is the platform designer:
test.png

As a first-time user, I hope this issue can be resolved. Additionally, I've been experimenting with oneAPI. However, when I attempted to do 'aocl install intel_a10gx_pac,' it returned an error stating 'Error: unsupported OS.' Could this mean that my OS version is not supported, or should I try using a different BSP? (oneAPI 2024.1)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Did you met any error when downloading the sof file?

Another thing could you try the niosV-download command without any parameter as below:

"niosv-download sw/app_hal/build/hello.elf"

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Did you met any error when downloading the sof file?

Another thing could you try the niosV-download command without any parameter as below:

"niosv-download sw/app_hal/build/hello.elf"

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
CShih23
Beginner

It seems like I forgot to assign the clock PIN on Arria 10 GX. Besides, when I utilized Nios V/M on Arria 10 downloaded from the design store, simply changing the part and assignment did not work. Therefore, I configured the Platform Designer from scratch. Anyway, it now works.

Thank you for your response.

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Since this thread been resolve, I shall set this thread to close pending. If you still need further assistance, you are welcome to reopen this thread within 20days or open a new thread, some one will be right with you. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

If you happened to close this thread you might receive a survey. If you think you would rank your support experience less than 4 out of 10, please allow me to correct it before closing or if the problem can’t be corrected, please let me know the cause so that I may improve your future service experience.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos