Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Flash Programmer bug?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I still have a problem to configure my custom board in Flash Programmer (Nios2 Evaluation Kit 1.1). 

In Nios 2 1.0 my board is configuring without any error. In new version I have these error: 

....# Programming flash with the FPGA configuration 

$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/nios2-flash-programmer --input=CamelotProject1.flash --sof=$ 

SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/components/Camelot_Custom_Board/system/Camelot_Custom_Board.sof - 

-cable='USB-Blaster [USB-0]' --base=0x00800000 

24.03.2005 13:18:39 - (INFO) nios2-flash-programmer: Launching Quartus Programme 

r to download: 

C:/altera/kits/nios2/components/Camelot_Custom_Board/system/Camelot_Custom_ 

Board.sof 

Send (64) failed. 

Unable to synchronize with target. 

24.03.2005 13:19:19 - (SEVERE) nios2-flash-programmer: Error opening target hard 

ware 

....# Programming flash with the project 

$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/nios2-flash-programmer --input=cfi_flash_0.flash --sof=__NO_ 

SOF_PLEASE__ --cable='USB-Blaster [USB-0]' --base=0x00800000 

24.03.2005 13:19:20 - (INFO) nios2-flash-programmer: SOF-download skipped. 

Send (8) failed. 

Unable to synchronize with target. 

24.03.2005 13:19:51 - (SEVERE) nios2-flash-programmer: Error opening target hard 

ware 

My custom board has configuration controller (EPM3128) and CFI Flash (AM29LV065DU120) for configuring. 

I tried to add --device=num of JTAG, changed jtag_uart component in configuration design. 

It didn't help me. Errors the same. 

What is wrong? 

Thx.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

there are already some threads with this topic, 

"--device=2" (if your fpga is second device in chain) is missing in the script,  

this seeems to be a bug, edit script or use your own script for programming,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I changed --device=1 in script (FPGA is first device in chain). Error the same.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you tried running the memtest software example on your flash? This will confirm whether or not your flash interface is functioning and is a good first step. Here are the steps that I would take: 

1. Confirm that memtest works running your design. 

2. Confirm that memtest works, while running out of the "target board" design (created by mk_target_board). 

- If either of these fails, check _first_ to see that the reset delay is implemented properly and that you have no board-level connection errors. 

3. Then move on to trying the flash programmer. 

- Unfortunately, there's not a lot of debug information at this stage. In my experience it either works...or not, though, if I've successfully made it past steps 1 & 2, then it usually just works. 

Cheers, 

- slacker
0 Kudos