Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Flash Programmer in NIOS2 1.1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In Nios2 1.01, I have used the Flash Programmer well.  

But, in Nios2 1.1, I encountered the problem as following. 

# Programming flash with the FPGA configuration ... Mar 24, 2005 5:50:52 PM - (??) nios2-flash-programmer: Launching Quartus Program mer to download:     C:/altera/kits/nios2/components/my_new_board/system/my_new_board.sof Error: Can't configure device. Expected JTAG ID code 0x020030DD for device 1, bu t found JTAG ID code 0x171280DD. Error: Operation failed Error: Quartus II Programmer was unsuccessful. 2 errors, 0 warnings Mar 24, 2005 5:50:53 PM - (??) nios2-flash-programmer: Unable to download SOF: C :/altera/kits/nios2/components/my_new_board/system/my_new_board.sof, exiting ... 

There are a CPLD and FPGA On my board. And FPGA is index 2 on the JTAG Chain.  

I made the correct setting at the Flash Programmer Design which has a FPGA at index 2 of the JTAG Chain. 

If you have the answer, please help me.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have some idea, but I'm not sure that it helps you. 

Try to readd a JTAG_UART in your configuration design and recompile all. 

JtagUart in new version of NIOS 1.1 is different from NIOS 1.01.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had the same problem - and a solution... 

There is a bug in the nios IDE in Version 1.1 which don't forward the fpga jtag-chain position to the flash programmer. So you have to do it per hand. 

Adjust all settings in the flash-programmer window - press "Apply". Then the IDE generates a file called "xx_programmer.sh" (where xx is the name of the project). You can find this file in the xx/debug/ folder. Open it with a text editor - find the lines where the flash programmer gets called (these lines start with "$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/nios2-flash-programmer") and add " --device=n" at the end of these lines - replace "n" with the jtag-chain position of the fpga - with 2 in your case. Do this as often as the flash programmer is called in this file (two times in my case) then save the file. 

Close and reopen the Flash-Programmer window in the nios IDE and press "Program Flash". DO NOT PRESS "APPLY" - or you have to do the modifications again. 

guys from altera : please add this to your fix-list for the next update... 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for highlighting this problem. We'll be looking to address this in an upcoming release of Nios II IDE.

0 Kudos