Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Fresh install build fails, no make

Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

So I've installed the NIOS2 EDS with Quartus Lite 20.1 on Windows 10 Pro and I believe I've followed the instructions to the letter. I can fire up Eclipse from Quartus on an example project but the build fails. The first error is "/bin/bash: make: command not found". If I fire up Ubuntu 18.04 make is there, as I expect and make --version reports GNU Make 4.1

What is going on?

Oliver

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

Kelly, I've got "Hello World" to run on my second PC, some I think I'm sorted now. Getting a colleague to help decipher the instructions and check that every step is performed correctly seems to make all the difference. The instructions really are poor not least because they are not strictly in sequence.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Greetings and welcome to Intel's forum.

Starting from Quartus 19.1 and above, the Cygwin component in the Windows* version of Nios® II EDS has been removed and replaced with Windows* Subsystem for Linux* (WSL).

Here are the steps for you to enable WSL on your PC that should solve your issue:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683472/21-3/installing-windows-subsystem-for-linux.html

Let me know if you need any further clarifications from my end.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

Kelly, I guess my post wasn't clear but I've followed all those instructions and had installed WSL1 and Ubuntu. That's how I could do 'make --version' from an Ubuntu terminal session.

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

According to the error message on "/bin/bash: make: command not found"

It is missing on environment variables.

Kindly follow this link to ensure the directory and environment variables are set correctly:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683472/21-4/environment-variables.html

Hope this clarify your doubts. Please expect delay in response in the next few days as I will be out.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi.

Any updates from your side? Was the feedback provided useful to you?

Hope to hear on your findings.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

Kelly, I've tried the install on 3 PCs and it seems to work on one of them. The example project from Trenz wanted Quartus 20.1.1 and choked on 20.1.0 so that was one difference I needed to resolve. The other variable might be finger trouble when doing the whole nios_eds 'extract this here, rename that, merge with the other'. Why the installer can't do this perplexes me!

Anyway, production stop takes precedence as ever, so I'll get back to this when the current panic is over.

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Are there any further clarification needed from my end?

Hope to hear from you.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

Kelly, I've got "Hello World" to run on my second PC, some I think I'm sorted now. Getting a colleague to help decipher the instructions and check that every step is performed correctly seems to make all the difference. The instructions really are poor not least because they are not strictly in sequence.

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

I am glad you managed to get a workaround for this issue. However for the documents that you were referring to, which document specifically were you mentioning? Maybe you could post the link here and I could feedback it to the internal team on future enhancements.

Your feedback is highly appreciated and hope to hear from you.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

It may seem like nit picking, but here goes. Section 3.1.1 of the Nios II Software Developer Handbook says:

The procedure for installing Eclipse IDE in Windows environment:
1. Create a temporary folder for you to use as a repository to build the necessary component files before merging the files with the Intel Quartus Prime software.
2. Download Eclipse C/C++ IDE for Mars.2 by clicking on Download CDT 8.8.1.
• Locate and move the eclipse-cpp-mars-2-win32-x86_64.zip file to the temporary folder.
• Extract eclipse-cpp-mars-2-win32-x86_64.zip to get the eclipse folder.
Tip: Try the mirror links if the main source link does not work.
3. Copy the eclipse_nios2_plugins.zip file from <Intel ® Quartus ® Prime installation directory>/nios2eds/bin to the temporary folder.
• Extract eclipse_nios2_plugins.zip to get the eclipse_nios2 folder.
4. Copy the content of eclipse_nios2 into eclipse folder. After you successfully copy the content, delete the eclipse_nios2 folder.
5. Rename eclipse into eclipse_nios2 .
6. Copy the new eclipse_nios2 folder and paste it in <Intel ® Quartus ® Prime installation directory>/nios2eds/bin . Delete the temporary folder.
7. Allow the merging of eclipse_nios2 folders.
8. Verify the extraction is done correctly by making sure you see the <Intel ®Quartus ® Prime installation directory>/nios2eds/bin/eclipse_nios2/plugin_customization.ini file.
9. You can now launch Nios ® II SBT for Eclipse using eclipse-nios2.exe

1. "Tip: Try the mirrors" is just distracting and unhelpful as there's no hint of where the download will start from or where the mirrors are.
  2. When extracting contents from zips in Windows explorer, Explorer sensibly puts them in a fresh folder. It's then easy to get confused any time eclipse_nios2 is mentioned when asked to rename a folder.
  3. In general there's no guidance on whether any step has been performed correctly. When instructed to merge it would be useful to say how many files will be merged (even roughly).
  4. "Verify the extraction is done correctly by..." really does nothing of the sort.
  5. The instructions to delete temporary folders really should go at the end. We got into a surprisingly heated debate about whether deleting as you go along was mandatory.

I appreciate the fact that Intel values feedback as I've been under some pressure to go to Xilinx. As a user with 25+ years of Quartus experience I really didn't fancy the change.

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Thank you so much for your feedback, we really appreciate your feedback and ensuring customer's feedback is placed top priority. I will feedback your comments to the internal team to see what are their next steps.

At the mean time, I am glad you managed to find a workaround on the installation. Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos