Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

How to hook up a signal generated from VHDL to an internal NIOS II instance?

GWick
Beginner

I'm working with some legacy VHDL code that I want to interface with a NIOS II core instead of an external processor. In specific, this signal is Active Low that was used as Interrupt for the external processor. I'm not seeing a clear description of how to go about doing this, despite many hours going thru the Interrupt Controller IP core docs. Any ideas? I'm assuming that it is something along the lines of supplying the signal name for the IRQ source somewhere, but I need just bit more details.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JOHI
New Contributor II

Hello,

If you build a Nios configuration with a PIO component, you will have what you need. PIO components have interrupt capabilities.

See tutorials for additional info.

Best Regards

Johi

0 Kudos
GuaBin_N_Intel
Employee

Yes, PIO is an Avalon-mm component that provides ​interface to external port (input or output or bidirectional). Check the details on this user guide section 27 https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_embedded_ip.pdf

0 Kudos