Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Issue in setting up Nios 2 C/C++ Application on eclipse

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hey, 

I installed the nios 2 software pack on my windows vista. When i try to create a project, it does not give me the option of "nios 2 c/c++ application on eclipse". Instead, i can create a simple "nios 2 application" or "nios 2 application and bsp from template". When i use the latter, it does not allow me to attach a .ptf file. It only accepts .sopcinfo file. Ive attached a screen shoot. What should I do? Please help. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

sounds like you are using the older Nios II IDE flow, which uses .ptf and an older Eclipse tool set 

the newer flow uses Nios II Software Built Tools (SBT), which uses .sopcinfo 

if you've generated the SOPC or Qsys system in any recent tool, you should have a .sopcinfo file
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your quick reply. Ive actually started a university course in embedded systems and we were given a .ptf file to work on the FPGA simulations, so I haven't generated the files my self. So, in order to work with the .ptf, I'll have to install an older version of Nios 2 on eclipse ? Thanks

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes, unfortunately i'm not sure in what version Nios II IDE was supported. the professor should update the course material!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The older Eclipse environment for Nios is called "Nios II IDE" and if it is installed on your system it should be in a "Legacy Nios II Tools" menu. This version should accept .ptf files. 

I don't know if it is still installed with the current version of Quartus, but I have it here on 11.1 (but curiously, only in the 11.1 menu, not in 11.1sp2).
0 Kudos