Is it possible to load two programs at once onto FPGA? (first one compiled for ARM and second one compiled for NIOSII)?
What i already can do:
- create NIOSII / ARM project in Intel FPGA Monitor program
- compile the project
- load it and run it on the FPGA
What i want to do:
- load and run both compiled programs on the FPGA at once
Note: Loading the programs does not have to strictly be done via FPGA Monitor program
Do you mean programming every thing at once? You must program the FPGA first with your system including the HPS IP that communicates with the ARM processor, this sets the FPGA fabric to work as an FPGA-SoC system after that you can follow this link to create preloader and UBoot to initialize the LINUX environment after that the LINUX (Zimage) can start.
Well, you can use both the NIOS2 as well as ARM in a single application, but the following points will have to be taken into consideration:
- The OS will boot from only one processor either the HPS or the NIOS2. Most likely it will be the HPS.
- In the SW you will have to manually take out the 2nd core/processor out of reset during / after the boot process and then run the bare-metal app on it.
- Make sure you partition the required memory correctly is using shared memory concept. If using DDR for HPS and on-chip RAM for NIOS2 then it should be okay.