Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12620 Discussions

NIOS Eclipse 9.1 SBTfE: Assembly file checked out from CVS not being built

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I've checked out a directory from CVS into a project via Eclipse. The directory contains a number of '.c' and a single '.S' file. All the files are shown, with the correct file types, in the Eclipse project explorer. 

When I build the project the '.c' files are compiled but the '.S' file is not assembled. When I look at the Makefile I see that ASM_SRCS is empty. 

Unfortunately this is in the generated settings part of the Makefile so I can't change it directly. I can kludge it by adding the '.S' file to ASM_SRCS after the generated part of the Makefile but I suspect it's not the official method :) 

Is this a known issue or do I need to do something else to get Eclipse to recognize that it needs to assemble the '.S' file? 

Thanks, 

Darren.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This looks like a bug. As a workaround, try renaming your file with a lowercase '.s'.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

This looks like a bug. As a workaround, try renaming your file with a lowercase '.s'. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks Dasi - that did it! Should I submit this as a bug to Altera and, if so, any pointers on how to do it? 

Thanks, 

Darren.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've already submitted a bug report for this issue, so don't bother. For future reference, you can submit bug reports through here: https://mysupport.altera.com/eservice

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Great - I hate to see these things getting lost.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dasi, 

any news about the submitted bug report ? 

I'm hitting the same problem and need a real solution, as renaming the .S file into a .s files suppresses the pre-processor stage of the compilation of the .S file. 

Regards, 

P9
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Pin9, 

If you're really stuck you could probably use the kludge described in the original report 

- add a line like the following to the Makefile AFTER the 'GENERATED SETTINGS END' comment in the Makefile: 

ASM_SRCS += xxx.S 

Which will add xxx.S to the list of assembler sources but should not be touched by eclipse. I haven't tried this since the original report (as I don't need the pre-processor) but it may work for you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Or arrange to pass ASM_SRCS=foo.S on the command line to make. 

The assignment on the command line should override all assignments within the makefile.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks all for your suggestions. 

Darren: even though I don't like it 100%, your suggestion is the best I can live with for now. I tried it and I finally get the build I need!!! 

Regards, 

P9
0 Kudos