Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

NIOS IDE SOPC design

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sir, 

i hv created a SOPC design nios system using nios II (s) , jtag, sdram(16 bit 8MB) ,two 8 bit pios(Switches & LEDs ),timer,pll megafunction using Quartus 7.2 and successfully run hello program and Hello ucos/rtos program on this design using Nios IDE 7.2 .  

using CycloneII EP2C35F672C6ES Altera's DE2 board. 

A. However, if I run simple socket server I get following error 

../led.c: In function `LED7SegLightshowTask': 

../led.c:97: warning: unused variable `led_7_seg_val' 

Compiling network_utilities.c... 

../network_utilities.c: In function `generate_and_store_mac_addr': 

../network_utilities.c:221: error: `EXT_FLASH_NAME' undeclared (first use in this function) 

../network_utilities.c:221: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once 

../network_utilities.c:221: error: for each function it appears in.) 

../network_utilities.c: In function `get_board_mac_addr': 

../network_utilities.c:250: error: `EXT_FLASH_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function) 

../network_utilities.c: In function `FindLastFlashSectorOffset': 

../network_utilities.c:321: error: `EXT_FLASH_NAME' undeclared (first use in this function) 

make: *** [obj/network_utilities.o] Error 1 

How do I correct this error 

B.Similarly , I created another design nios system1 by including seven_seg_pio led_pio lan91c111,as given on altera site(hw design for socket server) However not understanding how to make pin assignments, since it is not available in .csv file.Can you give any help/ready reference  

Regards
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

C. Thirdly I tried to run Socket Server on NiosII_cyclone_2c35_standard_sopc  

Giving 2 warnings reconfig_request_pio,pio inputs not hardwired 

Run Hello world small giving error 

Pausing target processor: not responding. 

Resetting and trying again: FAILED 

Leaving target processor paused 

Cud u give the steps to run it ? 

Do I require to create bdf file and import pin assignment  

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

../network_utilities.c: In function `generate_and_store_mac_addr': 

../network_utilities.c:221: error: `EXT_FLASH_NAME' undeclared (first use in this function) 

--- Quote End ---  

When you use the SSS project template, you are supposed to have a flash memory device where you have stored MAC and IP addresses of your board. 

If you don't have it (or even if you don't mean to use this feature), you can simply remove the related code from network_utilities.c and return fixed MAC and IP addresses from get_mac_addr() and get_ip_addr() functions.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sir, 

I have corrected this error by renaming pio and adding ext_flash(flash cfi)in SOPC 

However compiling the above design for SSS gives message that current license does not support Nichestack 

Is there any soln for this problem? 

I also tried Flash programming with 7.2 but it is not generating pof file  

i tried Flash progrmng with 12.0 , it says it does not support my device  

Cud you suggest the right Quartus II software version for my device (CycloneII EP2C35F672C6ES Altera's DE2 board) and application(i require to use Nichestack , Socket programming and TSE ) and how do i get the license for the same 

Regards,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Instead of generating the poc file, try with a script file from Nios shell, similar to the one I recently posted in this thread: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36728 

(you'll have to change from epcs to cfi flash...) 

Regarding Nichestack, you get a warning during compilation but this will not affect the generated code. You should be able to run the project for evaluation purposes even without a licence. 

I'd suggest Quartus v9.0 sp2, since I've used it with Nichestack and tsa, although with a EP3C device.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sir, 

Thanks for the reply , I'll try soln given by you.in ur post Shoulld i read poc as pof and tsa as tse 

Recently, I tried using nios II (s) , jtag, sdram(16 bit 8M ,two 8 bit pios(Switches & LEDs ),timer,pll megafunction,added flash using Quartus 12.0 and successfully run hello program a on this design using Nios IDE 12.0 using CycloneII EP2C35F672C6ES Altera's DE2 board. 

However for SSS gives following error  

Copyright 1996-2008 by InterNiche Technologies. All rights reserved.  

prepped 0 interfaces, initializing... 

inet startup error: unable to find any working interfaces 

panic: IP 

dtrap - needs breakpoint 

gone thru similar threads but cud not figure out soln 

kindly help 

Thx
0 Kudos