Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

NIOS II Memory Initialization File Depth

Devin2
Beginner

Hello, I have software written in C in Nios II to be combined with some hardware design done in Quartus. I generated a memory initialization file (.hex) through the "Make Targets" tool in my Nios project, and then combined it with the .sof file I generated through compilation in Quartus using the "Convert Programming Files" tool. When I do this, however, I get a critical warning message (ID: 18094) in the prompt window saying that the memory initialization file I created has a depth less than that of flash memory. Is this saying that the software I wrote is too large? Is the flash memory depth adjustable or is this a physical limit I reached on my device? Thanks in advance for the help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Can you get me the full screenshot of the error?

Also, you can screenshot the On Chip RAM IP settings in Platform Designer for me to check.

0 Kudos
Devin2
Beginner

error_message_1.JPGerror_message_2.JPGon_chip_flash_pd.JPG

I've attached the requested screenshots. The error message may be tough to read in the photos, it says "18094 Memory depth (122464) in the Memory Initialization file 'C:/Users/ removed for privacy purposes /mem_init/onchip_flash.hex' is less than the flash memory depth (45872). Make sure the Memory Initialization File contains the sufficient memory depth values for the flash memory." Also, in the platform designer screenshot there are a few more fields when you scroll to the right but they are all empty for the onchip_flash IP.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I think you need to increase your OCRAM size in the IP settings in the "Total Memory Size" tab. Try that and recompile.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Do you have any update?

0 Kudos
Devin2
Beginner

Hello,

Yes, I no longer get the error message when I recompile so this seems to have worked. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

0 Kudos