Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12612 Discussions

NIOS SDK tools don't see memory region

bob_bitchen
New Contributor I

We use an Arrow LPDDR controller from the BeMicro designs back with Quartus 12.

I have a CIV E design in Quartus 21 lite with a NIOS II F.

In platform designer, the NIOS vector selection drop-down boxes have the selection for mddr_ctrl_0.avalon_slave, and appears to generate the system successfully along with the sopcinfo file appears to have all the necessary items. 

The tcl file is from a previous version, but it does have "is_memory_device" set to true.

The bsp generation scripts show the following:

Executing: wsl nios2-bsp hal . ../../Aggs.sopcinfo --cpu-name nios2_gen2_0 (D:\Altera\Kits\PCIe-AGGS\software\bsp)
nios2-bsp: Using /mnt/d/intelfpga_lite/21.1/nios2eds/sdk2/bin/bsp-set-defaults.tcl to set system-dependent settings.
nios2-bsp: Creating new BSP because ./settings.bsp doesn't exist.
nios2-bsp: Running "nios2-bsp-create-settings.exe --sopc d:/Altera/Kits/PCIe-AGGS/Aggs.sopcinfo --type hal --settings ./settings.bsp --bsp-dir . --script d:/intelfpga_lite/21.1/nios2eds/sdk2/bin/bsp-set-defaults.tcl --cpu-name nios2_gen2_0"
INFO: Creating BSP settings file...
INFO: nios2-bsp-create-settings --sopc d:/Altera/Kits/PCIe-AGGS/Aggs.sopcinfo --type hal --settings ./settings.bsp --bsp-dir . --script d:/intelfpga_lite/21.1/nios2eds/sdk2/bin/bsp-set-defaults.tcl --cpu-name nios2_gen2_0
INFO: Initializing SOPC project local software IP
INFO: [Info] <b>D:/Altera/Kits/PCIe-AGGS/*</b> matched 112 files in 0.10 seconds
INFO: [Info] <b>D:/Altera/Kits/PCIe-AGGS/*/*_sw.tcl</b> matched 0 files in 0.00 seconds
INFO: [Info] <b>D:/Altera/Kits/PCIe-AGGS/ip/**/*_sw.tcl</b> matched 0 files in 0.00 seconds
INFO: [Info] <b>D:/Altera/Kits/ip/**/*_sw.tcl</b> matched 0 files in 0.00 seconds
INFO: Finished initializing SOPC project local software IP. Total time taken = 2 seconds
INFO: Searching for BSP components with category: driver_element
INFO: Searching for BSP components with category: software_package_element
INFO: Found Flash Memory: epcs_flash_controller_0 for CPU: nios2_gen2_0
INFO: Loading drivers from ensemble report.
INFO: Finished loading drivers from ensemble report.
INFO: Tcl message: "STDIO character device is jtag_uart"
INFO: Tcl message: "System timer device is sys_clk_timer"
SEVERE: CPU "nios2_gen2_0" reset memory "mddr_ctrl_0" has no matching memory region.
WARNING: Tcl script "bsp-set-defaults.tcl " error: CPU "nios2_gen2_0" reset memory "mddr_ctrl_0" has no matching memory region.
SEVERE: [Error] altera_hal_linkerx_generator: Required linker section mappings do not exist: "[.entry, .exceptions, .rodata, .rwdata, .text, .bss, .heap, .stack]"
SEVERE: [Error] altera_hal_linkerx_generator: Required linker section mappings do not exist: "[.entry, .exceptions, .rodata, .rwdata, .text, .bss, .heap, .stack]"
SEVERE: nios2-bsp-create-settings failed.
nios2-bsp: nios2-bsp-create-settings.exe failed

I tried digging into the tcl files that print those messages, but I think the .exe is writing those errors.

Help!!

0 Kudos
34 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Can you share the design I will try to replicate the issue.

0 Kudos
bob_bitchen
New Contributor I

I zipped the "software" although any create this bsp call will fail.

0 Kudos
bob_bitchen
New Contributor I

I don't find any info on changes to the tcl file for a NIOS tool compatible custom memory interface.

0 Kudos
bob_bitchen
New Contributor I

Bump

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the file, I will look into it.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I am still working on the case.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

From your side was your design compiled successfully in Quartus?

0 Kudos
bob_bitchen
New Contributor I

As far as I know, it's fully functional in hardware.

Have you looked at it yet?

0 Kudos
bob_bitchen
New Contributor I

It's time to decide if we can use these product or not

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I am having issues with the design you've sent, there are lots of errors from my side when using 21.1 Quartus.

For testing purposes, can you do a simple hello world build? Does that also produced the same error?

0 Kudos
bob_bitchen
New Contributor I

I have several projects that can't target my custom memory interface with the elf file.

It looks like the project archiver is pretty useless here.

How can zip the whole thing up and get it to you?

0 Kudos
bob_bitchen
New Contributor I

Here is a fully functional Quartus 11.1 project.

Convert this to whatever version that you wish, and you will find that the once-working NIOS tools have been recently broken.

0 Kudos
bob_bitchen
New Contributor I

This is what the NIOS tools look like when they work.

lpddr_wrks.jpgmts_ok.jpg

0 Kudos
bob_bitchen
New Contributor I

This is Quartus 21.1 lite results.

Q21lite.jpg

0 Kudos
bob_bitchen
New Contributor I

Even though the compiler / linker won't acknowledge any memory, the hardware can still test it. Q21.1 lite

bob_bitchen_0-1663188640851.png

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback and attached design, I will try to test that one out.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I am seeing the same as your working output that you attached, I haven't seen the error in the BSP Editor problems from my side,.

My steps was getting your latest design, upgraded to 21.1 lite, then use the sopcinfo for Nios II EDS hello world example, all build are fine.

Could you retry the above and see if the fresh steps could be working or if it still reports error let me know.

0 Kudos
bob_bitchen
New Contributor I
Try using the mddr in the linker script. Or set it to the reset vector in the Nios.
0 Kudos
bob_bitchen
New Contributor I

The original title was "NIOS SDK tools don't see memory region"

So, I gave you a project that doesn't use the memory region because you couldn't get one to compile.

I fixed your problem for you, and now you are supposed to fix the original Intel bug that you introduced prior to Q21.

A month and a half, and you have made zero progress on this.

0 Kudos
bob_bitchen
New Contributor I

Bump

0 Kudos