Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

NIOS with 2Gb SDRAM

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I have come across some problems using NIOS in my project. here is the background: 

I have a 2Gb DDR2 for the NIOS to run on. I have build the Qsys and connected all components. but when I tried to assign the address, I got the "instruction master only support 28 bit address" warning. because if I assign 0x00000000 ~ 0x0fffffff to the SDRAM controller, then I have to assign 0x10000000 to the JTAG_debug_module; if I assign 0x00000000 to the JTAG_debug_module, then I have to assign 0x10000000 ~ 0x1fffffff to the SDRAM controller. Either way I still got the warning. so, I have add a "direct window bridge" between the instruction master and the SDRAM controller: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10920&stc=1  

and the address: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10921&stc=1  

the direct window bridge module I was downloaded from the Alterawiki. I have modify the TCL file, setting the module as a memory device. and then I modify the linker section settings in the BSP setting to separate the data and instruction: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10922&stc=1  

after all I tried to run my code. I can successfully download the NIOS software, but it looks like the code is not running at all. I can not even debug with the code. 

I am not sure I have done everything correctly or I have missed something important. I am looking forwards to your suggestions, thanks a lot! 

Best Regards 

Daniel
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

.text and .exceptions will contain NIOS instructions. Your linker script shows .text being placed into 'data_memory' Shouldn't it be placed in 'direct_window_bridge_0' 

edit:  

Also, the Qsys warning (at least on 12.1) is: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Warning: System.nios2_qsys_0: The address range of the slaves connected to the Nios II instruction masters exceeds 28 bits. Attempts to call functions across 28-bit boundaries is not supported by GCC and will result in linker errors. 

--- Quote End ---  

It isn't saying you can't connect the instruction master to a memory wider than 28 bits. It's saying you can't have instructions located on either side of a 28-bit boundary and expect it to work. 

So I think much of your work was not necessary?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi Ted, 

thanks for reply. 

because of the limitation of the address assignment, the start address of the SDRAM controller or the JTAG_DEBUG_MODULE must exceed 28 bits. to my understand, one of the two module will not work. 

anyway, I will try with your suggestion first to remove the direct window bridge first, and I will assign 0x00000000~0x0fffffff to the sdram controller and 0x10000000 to the JTAG_DEBUG_MODULE. 

BR 

Daniel
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would suggest to disconnect the cpu.data_master/altmemddr_0.s0 and connect the cpu.data_master to the direct_window_bridge_0 so that the data_master has the same "view" with the instruction master. 

In your linker region the data_memory is located at 0x1400_0000 to 0x1fff_ffff. How can the instruction runs since it is still pointing to 0x1000_0000?
0 Kudos