Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12618 Discussions

Nios-II Resets with PIO command

Michael-C
Beginner

I am developing an application using the Nios-II embedded CPU. It utilizes multiple PIO ports, configured as inputs and outputs. I have one in particular that is being very troublesome. Everytime I write to it, it causes the Nios core to reboot.

It resides, in memory, in the same range as the other PIO registers. Nothing seems to jump out that is different from this register than from the others.

Has anyone seen this and possibly some suggestions as to the cause?

Thank You

0 Kudos
22 Replies
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Greetings and welcome to Intel's forum.

Please give me some time to check on this issue and will get back to you with the update.

Thank you.

Regards,

Fathulnaim

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Can I know if the design is from any example design and what is the design to work on?

0 Kudos
Michael-C
Beginner

Hello

I used a design example from approx 8-10 years ago, which was successful. This new design is similar but I am unsure why. I have attached the cpu_core.qsys file. The pio_cd_sol is the one giving me trouble. I have tried putting it to different address, change type from output to bi-dir, and some other settings, but nothing makes a difference.  pio_cmd works perfectly and both appear to be the same. 

When the Nios core resets, I think it first it trapped by a watch-dog timer (I was able to trace through it one in the "Debug as Nios" in the Eclipse environment ).

I don't think it is interrupt related as I do not have any interrupts connected in the Nios core for any of the PIO. 

Michael

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

For me to open the file, can I know what version of Quartus you using?

0 Kudos
Michael-C
Beginner

Quartus Prime

Ver 17.1.0

Build 590 10/25/2017 SJ Edition

Eclipse

Ver Mars.2 Release (4.5.2)

Build: 20160218-0600

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Give me some time to take a look on the design.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

It seems the hardware design does not have any issue. We hoping to actually find where the first design come from. I think for now need to check the application code which can the source for the issue.

0 Kudos
Michael-C
Beginner

I can give you design files, but I want to email them as opposed to posting on this public forum. Is there a way you can connect to my system and see it run live, this might quicken the process.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

I will email to you on your registered email and you can send me the design there. Please check your inbox or spam.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Received your design through the email. Allow me some time to take a look on it.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi Michael,

From the email, it seems the problem down to the i/o of the FPGA.

Can we know what the device you are using along with the device number?

Regards,

Fathulnaim

0 Kudos
Michael-C
Beginner

I am using the Cyclone IV series, specifically the EP4CE40F23C8N.

I changed six of the 22 330ohm resistors to 1.91k ohms. Of those six, two of those outputs started working. That is they remain in a tristate mode. When required, the output goes low able to drive the input to the solid state relay low and enable the output. The other four (of the six), remain tristate. However, when any one of those is set to a low, it causes the FPGA to restart. Of those four, I replaced the solid state relay, incase that one was bad, and it did the same thing.

On a separate note, is there anyway to quickly get to this thread to reply w/o having to search through all of the threads to find this particular one?

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

I am checking all the pin is correctly used for the SolA and SolB. Can you explain more on SolA and SolB.

0 Kudos
Michael-C
Beginner

The GPIO SolA and SolB drive banks of solid state relays, PGV612A, to toggle a +24V off board signal to drive solenoids (22 in total).  

The anode of the relay is tied to the +5v supply rail. The cathode of the relay is tied to the GPIO through a series resistor.  The GPIO toggles between tri-state and logic 0 and is set to LVTTL in the FPGA.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

We also would like to confirm if the i/o are operating within the standards.

wwanalim_intel_0-1706518591572.png

0 Kudos
Michael-C
Beginner

I am using the GPIO between a tri-state and a logic low. 

When a logic low, it is connected to a solid state relay (in essence a forward bias diode with Vf typ 1.2V), tied to +5V.  There is a 1.91k ohm resistor in series. Thus the sourcing current when driving a logic low would be 5-1.2/1.91k approx 2mA.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

We also would like to know what will happen if toggle the gpio without connecting the relay.

0 Kudos
Michael-C
Beginner

I have tested the GPIO with the series resister removed, when tri-state it floats around 0.8V. When it drive a logic low, it sets the voltage to 0.0V

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Give me some more time as I still investigate into it.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos