Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12612 Discussions

Nios V, FIFO 8 bit width, altera_avalon_fifo_read_level

andy25
New Contributor I

I have a project built in 22.1 Standard, that has a fifo with an 8 bit width:

fifo_options.jpg

I can read from my Nios V using the altera_avalon_fifo_read_level function, 1 byte at a time.  Each time I call it the level drops by 1.  It works as expected.

After I rebuild the project in 23.1 Standard, the altera_avalon_fifo_read_level function now reads 4 items at a time and returns a 32 bit int.  The level drops by 4 each call.

There is a warning saying Nios II only supports 32-bit, and that you'll need to "access the registers directly".  I don't know what that means.

I tried:

int sample = IORD_8DIRECT(IPMB_FIFO_OUT_BASE, ALTERA_AVALON_FIFO_DATA_REG);

While it returns 1 byte it also drops the level by 4.

How do I make 23.1 work like 22.1?

-Andy

0 Kudos
8 Replies
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Greetings and welcome to Intel's forum.

Please give me some time to check on this issue and will get back to you with the update.

Thank you.

Regards,

Fathulnaim

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Is the design inspired by any online references?

Could you share a screenshot of any warnings or errors that have popped up?

0 Kudos
andy25
New Contributor I

Online reference?  No, not really.

Warning/errors:  Sure.  For version 22.1 or 23.1?  I'll assume 23.1.  For platform designer, quartus or gcc?

I can also create an IPS ticket and share the entire project if that would be helpful.

I'm using the Intel Max10 Dev Kit 

23.1 Platform Designer Generate:

platformDesigner.jpg

Quartus has 130 warnings, most are about alter_gio_lite.sv and DDR3 timing.  (I have tried a number of different things to resolve the DDR timing and nothing works.  But I get the errors on both 22 and 23 so I don't think that's the problem).

quartus1.jpg

quartus2.jpg

quartus3.jpg

Let me know how else I can help.

Thanks for your time,

-Andy

0 Kudos
andy25
New Contributor I

... which is weird, because in this version of the project I've removed my use of gpio_lite.  Not sure if something else is using it though.  But I'm not intentionally using it anymore.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi Andy,

Give me some time to take a look on it.

Thank you

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Can I know where is this warning appeared "There is a warning saying Nios II only supports 32-bit, and that you'll need to "access the registers directly" ?

0 Kudos
andy25
New Contributor I

Platform Designer.  The first picture I posted. 4 messages down.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

You can create an IPS ticket and share the design project. We will continue our support in the IPS case, with that

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos