Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12612 Discussions

Nios V, Max10, N25Q512A QSPI, XIP

andy25
New Contributor I

Hello all.

I have this Max10 Dev Kit, it has 512Mbit N25Q512A QSPI flash.

I have a Nios V/m processor, and if I execute out of on-chip memory everything works fine.

I'd like to try Execute in place (XIP).

In Platform Designer I'm using the "Generic Serial Flash Interface Intel FPGA IP" component.

In the Nios V/m I have my reset vector pointing to "external_flash.avl_mem", offset is zero.

In the bsp-editor my .reset and .text are pointed at external_flash.

I convert app.elf to app.hex with:

elf2flash --input=app.elf --output=flash.srec --reset=0 --base=0 --end=0x3ffffff
riscv32-unknown-elf-objcopy --input-target srec --output-target ihex flash.srec app.hex

Then I use "Convert Programming File" to convert app.hex to app.pof (using device CFI_512Mb).  app.pof only contains the app.hex, I remove the "SOF Data" page, and Add Hex Data.

I use the "Parallel Flash Loader ii" to write app.pof to QSPI_Flash.

Then I reflash the Max10 with my nios.pof, but nothing runs. 

Is this supported?  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
aghoras
Beginner

Have you tried changing the addressing mode to 4 byte addressing? The default is 3-byte and is configured through the Control Register (0x0) of the IP. It could be that the 512mb memory requires more than 3-bytes to access.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Greetings and welcome to Intel's forum.

Please give me some time to check on this issue and will get back to you with the update.

Thank you.

Regards,

Fathulnaim

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Did you set the NiosV parameter Reset Agent to QSPI Flash?

You also can refer to the link below to see if you are following the right procedure.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/726952/23-4/processor-application-executes-in-place-95056.html

Thank you.

Regards,

Fathulnaim

0 Kudos
andy25
New Contributor I

Yes, I did set my NiosV reset vector to QSPI Flash.

Thanks for the link, I think I've seen it, but I shall review it again just to make sure.

-Andy

0 Kudos
andy25
New Contributor I

Ah yes, now I remember, I did follow that link, and most of it applies, except for the .jic creation.  I am only putting my app.hex in flash (not my fpga bitstream), and .jic didnt seem to have any support for Max10 or my N25Q512A  device.

So I tried to create a .pof instead, which is not covered in the documentation.

-Andy

0 Kudos
aghoras
Beginner

Is execute in place supported for NIOS V on the Max 10?

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Yes, supported for all control-block based devices, e.g. MAX10 according to Processor Design Manual.
aghoras
Beginner

Have you tried changing the addressing mode to 4 byte addressing? The default is 3-byte and is configured through the Control Register (0x0) of the IP. It could be that the 512mb memory requires more than 3-bytes to access.

0 Kudos
andy25
New Contributor I

Yay!  That works!

Reading the N25Q manual I could have sworn the default would be 3-byte addressing.

I have Feature Digit 8 which notes: "Enter 4-byte address mode and exit 4-byte address mode supported."

Feature Digit 7 (which I don't have) notes: "4-byte addressing mode is the default at power-up"

Oh well, it works now.

Thanks for the help!

-Andy

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos