Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Nios ii Custom IP Question

Dolemy
Novice

Hello.

I have some questions about adding CUSTION IP to NIOS II.

I want to design UART_TX that I designed as a custom ip to work on Nios ii.

The UART_TX I designed works fine. But I’m having trouble making it into a CUSTION IP.

The problem is as follows.

First, when I create a CUSTOM IP on NIOS II, an error message appears saying that the input bit and the output bit are different. My TX module is designed to receive 8 bits and output 1 bit. If I design it like this, an error message appears.

Secondly, if I make the input and output sizes the same and create a TX module as a CUSTOM IP, there will be no error messages and it will compile normally. However, when I use it to communicate with Tera_Term, the output is not normal.

To be honest, I don’t know how to design it. I don’t have a good understanding of the avalon bus overall, and I haven’t been able to apply what I’ve learned from the tutorial so far. If it’s not too much trouble, could you tell me how you would design an IP with my UART_TX code?

Note that I know that NIOS II supports UART on its own. However, my goal is to include my design in NIOS II.

I have attached pictures of my NIOS II system and code QSYS settings below for your reference.

Thank you for

Eclipse.png

Qsys.png

Qsys_com.png

Qsys_sig.png

TX_interface.png

     

reading

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Greetings and Welcome to Intel's Forum.

After creating your custom IP, Intel recommends that you move _hw.tcl files and their associated files to an ip/ directory within your Intel® Quartus® Prime project directory. 

Reference: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683364/18-1/save-an-ip-component-and-create-the.html

If you happen to move the files, point Platform Designer to their location with Tools menu -> Options in Platform Designer GUI.

You may have a look at this documentation for more information on creating your own custom IP: https://people.ece.cornell.edu/land/courses/ece5760/DE1_SOC/Making_Qsys_Components_15_0.pdf

Let me know if this helps.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly Goh

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Any updates from you end whether the feedback provided is useful?

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Any updates from you end whether the feedback provided is useful?

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos