Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12612 Discussions

NiosII booting from on-chip memory SPI issue

reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi all,

I am using quartus prime 19.1 lite, and I am trying to load a simple SPI program that sends SPI commands using NIOS II processor. The board that I am using is DECA Max10 Development Board. I am able to send "$HELLOABC*" continuously when I load the program in NIOS II SDK debug mode.

The problem comes when I try to generate the .hex file using "mem_init_generate" and compile the project in quartus to generate the .pof file. The .pof file that I loaded inside my FPGA is unable to send the "$HELLOABC*" continously. It only sends 2 "$HELLOABC*" and stops abruptly (as attached in spi_output.PNG )

I have tried to load a simple led and switch program that basically turns on and off an LED, and I am able to burn it into the FPGA. So I am assuming that my steps to load the .pof file containing the NIOS II application code is correct. 

Hence, if anyone can enlighten me about why is this happening to my SPI program? 

Below attached is the hardware of my SPI program, Nios II Application Code and spi_output image from a external logic analyzer.

I am using the test code given by Altera SPI Core in the link below. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683130/23-4/example-test-code.html

While editing it to include a while loop to send the data continuously. I have excluded the ISR to avoid any other issues. 

Thanks in Advance,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos
1 Solution
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi all, 

Just an update to this issue.

The problem has been resolved by disabling the alt_printf statement in my C code. My .pof works now, and it can send the spi commands after power cycling the board.

My guess is that as there is no communication between the board and the nios2 terminal, the alt_printf pointer got lost when executing the function. Hence when loading .pof, all alt_printf must be disabled.

Regards,

Reuben Goh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
45 Replies
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi Fathulnaim, 

After compilation with 20.1 lite, I got the same result(20_1_Spi_After_Compilation) that I have been getting, 2 "$HELLOABC" and stops there. 

I have notice some difference between the .hex file I have generated(proj_qsys_onchip_memory2_0_After_Compilation) and the one in your software folder. 

May I know more about your working scenario? After you power cycle the board, you are able to continuously send out "$HELLOABC"? The Tx and Rx LEDs should be blinking continuously right

Regards,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Will send the work scenario later. In the mean time, can I know if you have additional board to test the file with?

Can you also test with sof + elf file manually and see the niosII terminal console if it run continuosly?

Regards,

Fathulnaim

0 Kudos
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi Fathulnaim,

Yes I have a max10 development kit as well. I have duplicated the issue before on another board using 19.1 lite. 

Yes it works as shown in(20_1_spi_160124_nios_console). However I have to check ignore mismatched system ID and ignore mismatched system timestamp in the debug configuration as shown. If not there would be an error.

Regards,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback.

The Tx and Rx led on our board is continuosly blinking.

Would like to ask you to check on few things.

1. If running .pof file, does it always stop at 53rd line?
  2. Does NiosII output prints using .pof continuos or stopped after 53 lines as well?
  3. If above is true, can you try to perform test with the simple normal hello world prints and see if that can continue.

Below is changes we made -

for max 10 ocram using xip design, you need to use the on-chip flash ram IP and the on-chip memory(RAM or ROM) IP,

enable the mem init in the on-chip memory, and disable mem init in on chip flash, and use single uncompressed

then generate and compile in quartus.

for .hex generation, we need to use the mem_ini_gen in eclipse:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683689/current/application-12184.html

• Build mem_init_generate on eclipse follow the link above. (successful built will created mem_init folder under project folder) 
  • Go to platform designer and on the ram editor parameter , check box for "initialize memory content" and "enable non-default initialization file".
  • Generate hdl and close platform designer.
  • Go to Quartus and recompile. 

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Do you have any updates to share about this issue?

0 Kudos
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi Fathulnaim,

Noted on the changes. Let me update you on the checks again.

Regards,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi Fathulnaim,

I am encountering this error "Error (16031): Current Internal Configuration mode does not support memory initialization or ROM. Select Internal Configuration mode with ERAM." during compilation. 

These are the steps I took.

1) Open the same proj.qsys file that you have given to me.

On the On-Chip Flash IP, select "Single Uncompressed Image" and uncheck initialize flash content.

On the On-Chip Memory IP, uncheck initialize memory content. (If I check this, I will have another error "Error (14703): Invalid internal configuration mode for design with memory initialization" during compilation. So I intend to uncheck first, after I generate the hex file, I will check it and check enable non-default initialization file.)

2)Generate proj.qsys and in Quartus, under Assignments -> Device -> Device and Pin Options -> Configuration Mode, select Single Uncompressed Image. Compile project

3)Open Nios II Eclipse, and create new NIOS II application and BSP template. Build the project. Edit the makefile to remove the errors generating elf. Build the project again, and import source code. 

4)Load the .sof file using quartus and then run Nios II Hardware Configuration in debug mode to load .elf file. Ensure that Tx and Rx is blinking continuously and able to receive SPI signals continuously. 

5)Generate .hex file by running mem_init_generate using Nios II Eclipse. 

6)Reopen proj.qsys file in system designer of Quartus, and on the On-Chip Memory IP check initialize memory content and check non-default initialization file. Under User created initialization file: point to the new location of the .hex file in the mem_init folder. 

7)Compile project in Quartus and I receive the error "Error (16031): Current Internal Configuration mode does not support memory initialization or ROM. Select Internal Configuration mode with ERAM."

Please advice whether is there anything wrong with my steps.

Regards,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

For the design I want to reconfirm that you are using proj.qsys not proj_qsys.qsys.

For the settings, I think we faced the same issue before we did not choose with memory initialization in quartus.

On platform designer

• Onchip flash = choose "single uncompressed image with memory initialization" and uncheck initialize flash
  • Memory = check initialize and enable non-default

On Device and Pin Options - configuration mode

• Select "Single Uncompressed Image with memory initialization"

Thank you.

Regards,

Fathulnaim

0 Kudos
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi Fathulnaim,

Yes I am using proj.qsys.

Noted I will try "Single Uncompressed Image with memory initialization"

Regards,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you. Will wait for your feedback.

0 Kudos
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi Fathulnaim,

I have tried it and I get the same result on the spi, 2 "$HELLOABC*$" and stops. 

With regards to your above question, here are my reply.

Would like to ask you to check on few things.

1. If running .pof file, does it always stop at 53rd line?
  2. Does NiosII output prints using .pof continuos or stopped after 53 lines as well?
  3. If above is true, can you try to perform test with the simple normal hello world prints and see if that can continue.

1. Yes it always stop at 53rd line.

2. I did not check the output prints using .pof, how to check it? Is it by connecting to COM port in a console terminal?

3. Sure I will try this.

Regards,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

I will email you on the email registered for this account.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

We want to check on these things again.

1 . Does NiosII output prints using .pof continuos or stopped after 53 lines as well?

• Can check this from the terminal in Nios II SBT. After programming the .sof (the file that you run earlier which give 53 line of output), run as hardware in SBT, and uncheck the .elf.

2 . If above is true, can you try to perform test with the simple normal hello world prints and see if that can continue.

• Need to get information on this too.

Below this reply, we will post screenshot of our output prints that loops continuously.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Below is the output from the terminal that I copy paste into text file. Are we getting the same output?

0 Kudos
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi Fathulnaim,

1 . Does NiosII output prints using .pof continuos or stopped after 53 lines as well?

• Can check this from the terminal in Nios II SBT. After programming the .sof (the file that you run earlier which give 53 line of output), run as hardware in SBT, and uncheck the .elf

I did the steps above but I do not get any output in the terminal in Nios II SBT. I uncheck the Download ELF to selected target system(as attached)

Regards,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Below I will attached our screenshot on how we run the NiosII application from our side. By the way during our investigation, there is times when the output terminal on SBT did not show anything. We figure it out that the .sof is being compiled to be used to monitor the signal tap. Then we tried using other .sof file which is inside the "ready to test folder" and it working back which is there is output on the SBT.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Below I attached the screenshot of our step along with the file that you can use.

0 Kudos
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi Fathulnaim, 

Thanks for your file. I have loaded the .sof file from the ready to test folder, and changed the bsp settings as per your steps. However, I do not see print outs on Nios II console(as attached). 

Any updates on the virtual meeting mentioned in your email? I think it could be better if we have a call and settle this issue.

Regards,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi Reuben,

Thank you for the test. We are preparing for the virtual meeting. Will let you know in the email.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

From our communication on email, you can reply the file below this.

0 Kudos
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi Fathulnaim,

Please find the attached file.

Regards,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos