Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12612 Discussions

NiosII booting from on-chip memory SPI issue

reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi all,

I am using quartus prime 19.1 lite, and I am trying to load a simple SPI program that sends SPI commands using NIOS II processor. The board that I am using is DECA Max10 Development Board. I am able to send "$HELLOABC*" continuously when I load the program in NIOS II SDK debug mode.

The problem comes when I try to generate the .hex file using "mem_init_generate" and compile the project in quartus to generate the .pof file. The .pof file that I loaded inside my FPGA is unable to send the "$HELLOABC*" continously. It only sends 2 "$HELLOABC*" and stops abruptly (as attached in spi_output.PNG )

I have tried to load a simple led and switch program that basically turns on and off an LED, and I am able to burn it into the FPGA. So I am assuming that my steps to load the .pof file containing the NIOS II application code is correct. 

Hence, if anyone can enlighten me about why is this happening to my SPI program? 

Below attached is the hardware of my SPI program, Nios II Application Code and spi_output image from a external logic analyzer.

I am using the test code given by Altera SPI Core in the link below. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683130/23-4/example-test-code.html

While editing it to include a while loop to send the data continuously. I have excluded the ISR to avoid any other issues. 

Thanks in Advance,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos
1 Solution
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi all, 

Just an update to this issue.

The problem has been resolved by disabling the alt_printf statement in my C code. My .pof works now, and it can send the spi commands after power cycling the board.

My guess is that as there is no communication between the board and the nios2 terminal, the alt_printf pointer got lost when executing the function. Hence when loading .pof, all alt_printf must be disabled.

Regards,

Reuben Goh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
45 Replies
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Greetings and welcome to Intel's forum.

Please give me some time to check on this issue and will get back to you with the update.

Thank you.

Regards,

Fathulnaim

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

I will require additional time to thoroughly investigate and delve into this matter.

0 Kudos
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi Fathulnaim,

Sure. Thank you for your prompt response. I will await your investigation.

Any questions please let me know.

Regards,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

It appears that the ELF file is functioning correctly, but there is an issue with the HEX file. We suspect the error might be due to one of the following:

• The file being stored in the wrong RAM location.

• Incorrect arguments passed to Elf2hex.

• Function user mem_init generated wrong HEX file.

Software abnormalities due to ELF2HEX are rare, and any references are scarce.

The best approach is to review the PD address map, and the elf2hex command ran by mem_init_generate.

Both the HEX file created from mem_init_generate and download as ELF in Nios II SBT are the same.

Alternatively, we can read the OCRAM using Nios II SBT Memory Browser after download as ELF in Nios II SBT. And compare it with the HEX file from mem_init_generate.

0 Kudos
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Upon some digging into the memory browser, I have found that the onchip_memory2_0.hex always starts with 20000000? Why is that so? 

I have attached some images of the mem_init_generate console window and nios sbt memory browser, as well as the hex file generated by mem_init_generate and the OCRAM memory exported from nios sbt memory browser.

Regards,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for the information and file given. I will require a bit of time to investigate into it then reply back to you.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

The start address on onchip_memory2_0.hex is based on the start address in Platform Designer system.

If it starts with 2000_0000, then it is mostly likely the OCRAM in Platform Designer starts from 0x2000_0000.

0 Kudos
reubengoh
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Can I have the QSYS project file? I want to recompile the project and recapture any warning. Mem_init failures will not return as Errors, but warnings. So, it might go undetected sometimes

0 Kudos
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi, 

Attached is the project folder. Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi,

I've got a question relating to this document below as well. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683689/current/processor-application-executes-in-place-60969.html

When booting NIOS II from on-chip memory (RAM), why does the hardware design (attached below) indicate in this document to include the on-chip flash IP. 

Anyway I tried to use this hardware design as well in the document, but still had the same issue with my SPI. 

Regards,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

For the question, On-Chip Flash IP is not necessary. It is needed, only when booting from UFM.

Thank you for the project file provided. Will look into that and find the cause.

wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

During the generation of HDL on platform designer, did you also got "Generated completed with errors"?

Currently trying with other version of Quartus.

Will let you know any progress after this.

Thank you for being patient.

0 Kudos
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi, 

No I did not get the message "Generated completed with errors". Below attached is my generated message.

Regards,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Please allow me some more time to investigate.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

I just regenerated and recompiled the project. I tested on our side and it working. Below I will attach the folder.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

We recompile the design using 20.1 lite. There will be ready to test folder inside which contain pof and sof file.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hope it will be working on your side.

0 Kudos
reubengoh
New Contributor I

Hi Fathulnaim, 

Thank you for your help.

I have tried loading your .pof file using 20.1 lite. After power cycling the board, I am able to get more signals now instead of 2 "$HELLOABC*", now I am getting 53 "$HELLOABC*LF", however it still stops and is not running in a continuous while loop as I expect.

I will try to compile the file again in 20.1 lite and see whether it will work.

Regards,

Reuben Goh

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you Reuben. Kindly updated to us after another compilation.

0 Kudos