Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Noobie Question on how to find/build a missing .elf file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Friends, I'm adding my .sof file to the QuartusII programmer and the following message pops up. Does anyone know what the following message means? ' xxxxx.sof contains one or time limited megafunctions that support the OpenCore Plus Feature that will not work after the hardware evaluation time expires?' Don

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

That means that you either do not have a licensed Quartus (e.g. Web Edition) or that you do use an unlicensed megafunction in your Quartus and or SOPC/QSYS-Builder. 

But you've asked about an elf in the topic. Are you still interested in building an elf?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi dtelrest,  

I like your profile image, "we have cookies". Haha. 

Ah, I should get a license then; I have the Web Edition. I was wondering if this could be the reason that I can't make the needed .elf file. I'll give you some background on what a noobie like me is doing.  

I'm following a tutorial for the DE0 Nano and I'm pretty close to finishing the instructions for the NIOSii tutorial in the DE0 NANO USER MANUEL at http://www.altera.com/education/univ/materials/boards/de0-nano/unv-de0-nano-board.html?gsa_pos=1&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=de0 nano (http://www.altera.com/education/univ/materials/boards/de0-nano/unv-de0-nano-board.html?gsa_pos=1&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=de0 nano)  

I get to the step where I build the hello world project. During building, I get the following message in the console window:  

'No rule to make target `Info/My', needed by `Designs/myfirst_niosii/DE0_NANO_SOPC.ptf/Debug/system_description/../obj/generated_app.mk-t'. Stop. 

Build completed in 1.903 seconds' 

Could a web edition of Niosii or unlicensed macrofunction from a tutorial be the reason why I can't build and generate the .elf? Or does the error message above mean that I'm missing something, like making a target.  

Friendly Noob, 

Don
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Don, 

thanks. 

This sounds a lot like a linker error. For Nios C and Assembler Development you do not need a license, just for generating the sof in Quartus. 

Can you get me a link where to find the sample project, hello world.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

i see that6 you do have a dot in your Path,  

myfirst_niosii/DE0_NANO_SOPC.ptf/Debug/ 

that may be the problem. 

Did you generate and build your BSP, using the sopcinfo file, in your NIOS environment?
0 Kudos